Big Batch Vortex Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

troutman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 14, 2017
Houston, Texas
Had some folks lay over for the weekend on their way back to Austin and the wife wanted me to cook some chicken (her marinade) along with her cooking some Filipino dishes. She got a dozen leg quarters and about two dozen drums from the store and marinaded them over night in her Inosol marinade (soy, lemon juice, 7UP, lemon grass, salt and pepper). I took them out in the morning and put the pieces on two racks to dry in the fridg. Here is the first batch, the leg quarters. I hit them up with Oak Ridge Secret Weapon seasoning.....

chick 01.jpg

....fired up my Vortex in my 22" Weber kettle with a full load of charcoal and let it get up to temp with vents wide open. Was reading in the high 490s on my grate probe when I put the chicken on, screaming hot. After about a half hour they were looking really good. The Vortex was doing a great job but consuming briquettes like mad so had to keep feeding the flame. Gave them a flip and cooked them for another half hour .......

chick 03.jpg

...probed with my Thermopen at 175* so pulled them and let them rest while I went on to batch #2....

chick 04.jpg
chick 05.jpg

Batch number two were the drums. Same marinade and same seasoning, ready to go on the grill......

chick 02.jpg

.....Vortex began to cool somewhat, probably down to about 425* for this cook. Also tried something I hadn't done before, I added a good size chuck of mesquite wood which did smolder for about 15 minutes and gave me some nice smoke for this batch. Flavor came through just right.....

chick 06.jpg

....the results were the same, with the smaller pieces getting done in about 50 minutes total......

chick 07.jpg
chick 08.jpg

All in all I really like the way the Vortex does chicken. Golden brown, nice crispy bite through skin, tender and juicy inside. Can't ask for more than that. After years of cooking chicken 325-350*, getting it up over 400* (if you can) is really the way to go. As you can see above I had no significant burning and the result was outstanding. If you have a kettle you need to buy this little $30 accessory, it really works well for me.

TROUTMAN STEVE SIGNING OUT !!!!!

That chicken looks fantastic Steve. The Vortex and Kettle are a match made in BBQ heaven.

Point for sure.

Chris

All in all I really like the way the Vortex does chicken. Golden brown, nice crispy bite through skin, tender and juicy inside. Can't ask for more than that. After years of cooking chicken 325-350*, getting it up over 400* (if you can) is really the way to go. As you can see above I had no significant burning and the result was outstanding. If you have a kettle you need to buy this little $30 accessory, it really works well for me.

TROUTMAN STEVE SIGNING OUT !!!!![/QUOTE]

Were did you get the vortex....and is that the name of it or is it called something else? Also when you say 22.5 inch is that measuring from edge to edge on the kettle itself or the rack size...mine is so old I just don't remember the size any more. My rack measures 21.5 but my kettle measures 22.5

Last edited:
Although I am just getting familiar with my new Vortex, I am loving the results as well! Nice cook Steve. They look great!
And I noticed your foil lined bottom- Brilliant! Why didn't I think of that?
One difference I did notice with the vortex/Kettle since I'm on the subject, is you don't get the drippings going over the coals. In my mind, I think this is both a blessing and a curse. I think the drippings in the coals add flavor, but the lack of flare-ups keeps temps stable and no burning.

That makes me want to buy a kettle even though I don't have any room and the wife would not get it if I wanted to spend more on another grill. That chicken looks perfect. That's exactly the kind of chicken I would like to produce on the grill. Very nice Steve.

George

Not sure size..or how to measure...I mean mine is old really old...but it measures 22.5 from rim to rim, but grate/rack is only 21.5...not sure what I should be measuring for grill size determination.

You need the one for the webber 22.5 since you have a webber 22.5

Added Note Jumbo Joe's run shallow so you might want to measure from the top of the coal grate to the bottom of the cooking grate....

Yes kit s, you either have a 22" (which you have) or a 26" or some other brand. I got mine on amazon, there are several knock off versions. Just make sure it's 305 stainless or better.

I Prefer my see through version. Built by a guy that you pay via an off shore account in "Nigeria?"

20180627_183726.jpg

Although I won't deny this works, a Vortex concentrates the heat in a much better way. You can get close to 500* with its use. If you notice my pix, I've foiled wrapped the entire area outside the Vortex itself, providing a means to catch grease of course, but further making sure the air flow goes directly into the Vortex, further concentrating the heat. It's a rather cheap accessory, give it a try I think you'll see the difference.

Kit, the Jumbo Joe also came in the 22" model. It's definitely shallower then the normal kettle. Go to the Vortex website and see what they recommend. If your unsure post a pic of your Weber. I believe the small Vortex will work just fine in a normal 22 kettle.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky