Big batch of Almonds... Varying flavors

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

salsashark

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
Lacking a good idea for a friend's birthday, I decided to make her something that I know she would enjoy since she's always raving about my Q. What do you get someone who has everything? How about a batch of smoked almonds? Sounds good to me! Oh, and her husband agreed that it was a good idea so off I went.

Not wanting to do the usual salt, I decided to experiment with some flavors... further fantasizing about turning my addiction to my smoker into something that could be a living some day :)

OK, so now here's why you clicked on the link.

My Recipes (measurements are pitch and throw... sorry, no absolutes here)

Spicy Asian Persuasion:
  • Sriracha hot sauce
  • Soy Sauce
  • Garlic
  • Sesame Seeds
Bee Sting:
  • Honey
  • Cayenne
  • Tapatio Hot Sauce
Classic Q:
  • Salt
  • Onion Powder
  • Garlic Powder
  • Pepper
  • Paprika
Garlic Pepper With a Kick:
  • Garlic
  • Pepper
  • Salt
  • Jalapeno Powder
6Lbs of almonds brined over night with a simple 1 gallon of water and 1 cup of kisher salt then divided into 4 equal batches. I used egg white and water to bind the Classic Q and Garlic Pepper rubs to the almonds. The Bee Sting and and Spicy Asian were wet already so no binder needed. 

The Q View:

Classic Q

a8039566_ClassicQ.jpg

Spicy Asian:

1cb41e68_SpicyAsian.jpg

Bee Sting

147c110d_BeeSting.jpg

Garlic Pepper With a Kick

4c0b1284_GarlicPepper.jpg

All the kiddies ready for the heat

cff8d571_Precooked.jpg

Added a mix of hickory, mesquite, pecan and threw in a couple of charcoal briquettes for good measure. Roll the smoke at 250 – 300 for 30 minutes, stir, and then let go until done.

ffe86c2e_GoingintheSmoke.jpg

Off the smoke and cooling down... Can't wait to try them!

7a191740_Coolingoff.jpg

Last edited:
Finally cooled down enough to sample...

For the most part, the flavors are what I wanted, but I think I'll pump them up a bit in the future.

Unfortunately, not enough time in the heat, they were still chewy. SOOO... they're in the oven right now for a half hour or so to draw out a bit more moisture. 

All in all, I think I definitely have some keepers here. We'll see what the hordes have to say this afternoon.

Your almonds really look good. I've smoked them a couple of times & just can't seem to get them right. I guess I'll keep trying. Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once in a while.

fc7da159_003.jpg

I ended up doing 3 kinds...

Soy, Sesame and Sea Salt

Hot Sauce, Sea Salt, Paprika and Garlic

Honey, Maple Syrup (from my farm) and Cinnamon.

That is the before...will post my after pics once I upload them...they turned out great...I think the Honey/Maple is my favorite.

I was going to be doing some almonds and a pan of pecans in the next several days myself...I'm gonna try a molasses/butter/salt mix, next time I may add some heat/onion to see how it compliments.....

if I keep the temp around 250....what do you think the total smoke time should be thereabouts?....should I go warmer?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky