Better than Bacon?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Gave it a try, victim!
Very tasty! You're right, the Cilantro mellows out after cooking.
Point! For the idea!

Dan
Looking Good Smokey! You just had to sneak some fruits and vegetables in there too didn't ya? How dare you!!!! 
icon_evil.gif

Haha! Just kidding... Actually that looks pretty darn good that way too!
bravo1.png

Really good! But nothing is better than bacon! I did the recipe exactly.

They went for about 40 min @350ish. I moved them around a lot. After sampling a couple off the skewers I wanted them a little less chewy so I panned them and covered them and put back on the grill for another 15-20 min then wrapped in towel and rested for 30 min. That help to make them perfect texture! 

It was a nice change. Tasted great and everyone said the same. Nice change from the same ol bbq I do! I will make these again for sure! 

Thanks for the recipe BEV

Used my webber kettle and Kingsford charcoal for the cook.

9lb pork shoulder marinated over night using the recipe exactly.

Keeper
Foiling them is a great Idea. Kind of like burnt ends?  Yeah... They shouldn't be chewey at all!

Made this this weekend and my wife loved it she carnt wait to have it again thanks for the recipe it was great

Made this this weekend and my wife loved it she carnt wait to have it again thanks for the recipe it was great
Glad it worked out for you. So simple too.

My powdered coconut milk came in the mail yesterday and I have another shoulder in the fridge with all the other ingredients and hog casings to make fresh sausage brats tomorrow. Just in time for the 4th!

th_4th_of_July.gif

Reactions: ksblazer
Sausage making time!

Same ingredients with a shoulder run through the grinder with cure #1 added
Mixed

I used a whole packed of powdered coconut milk. 1 packet plus 1 cup of water = 1 cup coconut milk, so that works out great
Using in place of NFDM

Stuffed and linked. Natural Hog casings fresh from a local slaughterhouse.

A late night snack with a slice of smoked Swiss cheese.

The rest went into the freezer and will be vacuum sealed tonight.

They turned out pretty tasty! Tastes just like the kebabs, but they didn't get a chance to marinate or ingredients to meld and do their thing, and cure to firm them up. In hind site I should have left the mix to cure a bit before stuffing. Im sure they will get better I am sure of it!
:sausage:

Very cool! I don't know yet if powdered coconut milk has the same properties and uses to aid in moisture retention as NFDM, but that is my thought and hope. I can totally see using it in other sausages that I would normally use NFDM.

Very cool! I don't know yet if powdered coconut milk has the same properties and uses to aid in moisture retention as NFDM, but that is my thought and hope. I can totally see using it in other sausages that I would normally use NFDM.
I don't use NFDM in my sausages, but I can see using the powdered coconut milk to get the flavor you're targeting without adding way too much liquid. (I tried to make a Korean-style BBQ sausage. I liked the flavor a lot, but the texture was weird from too much liquid.)

I don't use NFDM in my sausages, but I can see using the powdered coconut milk to get the flavor you're targeting without adding way too much liquid. (I tried to make a Korean-style BBQ sausage. I liked the flavor a lot, but the texture was weird from too much liquid.)
I have been watching (drooling at) your thread. The dry milk powder definitely helps with that weird texture thing. They stay more plump and juicy and less grainy. I hope the powdered coconut milk does the same. Yeah... flavor for sure! I think I might try also poaching some of these brats in some coconut milk before grilling. Similar to how you would beer brats in beer and onions. ...See which I like better...

Just tried this recipe out today and OMG, it literally touches on all senses!  Got the sweet from the coconut milk, salty from the soy and savory from the pork.  BEV, thanks a million for this recipe i promise i will not alter it and give credit where credit is due when someone asks.  This has to be one of the best pork dishes ive ever tried and i pride myself on trying new things.  Fantastic job BEV!

I am copying this to make sausage as well. I ground the meat and added the spices last night. They are mingling in the fridge as we speak. I didn't have powdered coconut milk so I used the real deal. Cant wait to stuff and good them tonight!

Just tried this recipe out today and OMG, it literally touches on all senses!  Got the sweet from the coconut milk, salty from the soy and savory from the pork.  BEV, thanks a million for this recipe i promise i will not alter it and give credit where credit is due when someone asks.  This has to be one of the best pork dishes ive ever tried and i pride myself on trying new things.  Fantastic job BEV!
Thanks Deuc. Now you see how I've been hooked on that stuff as well. Enjoy.

And for the record... I have a recipe book/binder that I save things that I find on the internet, feeds on facebook, or in a magazine or wherever that inspire me... I print or write stuff down. I will copy verbatim or I will write my own recopies. I rarely keep to the original recipe, because I make my own version of it to suite me or my families tastes. So, I found my notes for this recipe in my book, but I haven't a clue where it originally came from or inspired by. Must have been one of those bourbon nights I wrote it down.... What I am saying is, don't give me credit for the kebab recipe. I likely got it from somewhere. But you too are welcome to recycle it as I have. It is for sure-  near the top of the list of recipes worth sharing. Now the sausage version that I will continue to tweak will be removed enough to take credit for.

I am copying this to make sausage as well. I ground the meat and added the spices last night. They are mingling in the fridge as we speak. I didn't have powdered coconut milk so I used the real deal. Cant wait to stuff and good them tonight!
Right on SOS! Another sausage pioneer with me! Even with using the powdered coconut milk the mix was quite moist for me... I couldn't imagine adding another cup of liquid. Did you back off on any of the other liquids?

And to the both of you:
th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif

WOW! those look seriously AMAZING! Great way to mix things up from the typical BBQ Pork Butt. I will be trying this recipe ASAP for sure, looks very tasty. When we were living in Kodiak Alaska, there was a very high Philippine population, and they always made what everyone just simply called "Pork on stick", and the recipe is very similar to this except that there is pineapple soda (or some just use juice) in the marinade and baste rather than coconut milk. I will for sure have to try the coconut milk, as I love the rich and tropical flavor of it!  

I didnt do less liquid, but I had about 8lbs of meat. I will post my results tonight. I plan on stuffing then making cooking a few!
Looking forward to your post!

WOW! those look seriously AMAZING! Great way to mix things up from the typical BBQ Pork Butt. I will be trying this recipe ASAP for sure, looks very tasty. When we were living in Kodiak Alaska, there was a very high Philippine population, and they always made what everyone just simply called "Pork on stick", and the recipe is very similar to this except that there is pineapple soda (or some just use juice) in the marinade and baste rather than coconut milk. I will for sure have to try the coconut milk, as I love the rich and tropical flavor of it!  
I'm certain you will like it if you try it. Prepare yourself to be amazed! Thank you for the point.

While digging around in my freezer I found a lonely package of these brats that was calling my name. Taking these sausages to the next level was on my to do list so here is what I did:

Ingredients:
2 C Brown Rice
2 T Butter
1 Can chunk pineapple
1/4 C Malibu Rum
1 Jigger of Cream De Banana
1 Can Coconut Milk
1 Cup Water
Pinch of salt

In a medium saucepan poach brats in Coconut Milk on low. (I put them in frozen until they were done.)
1.jpg

4.jpg

Add all the remaining ingredients to the rice cooker. Remove the brats from the coconut milk and grill them. Add the coconut milk to the rice cooker and start the cooker.
Serve immediately
2.jpg

3.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited:
I BBQ brats and freeze them, then thaw and slice and on put them on frozen pizza when I feel lazy.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky