Best electric smoker to buy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jaspreet

Original poster
Nov 12, 2019
What’s the best electric smoker to buy?
there are so many brands yet they all have their issues of false temps etc.. my current dynaglow won’t even get to 225monitoring temp with my own temp probe that i verified in boiling water Etc, any ways i don’t want to use that smoker.. so im looking for a small to medium sized smoker

I do not have an electric however, many smokers on this forum have one. The most discussed on SMF is the Masterbuilt or MES for short. Bearcarver has an awesome thread telling all you could ever want to know about the MES.

What is your budget? Under 200? 350? 5-6-700? 1000+.
Set&forget out of the box or wanting/willing to mod?

There can be a big difference between the $2-400 and the $6-800+ models. Check out Masterbuilt (a solid unit, but you can easily spend another 2-300 on upgrades mods). Or you can spend more on a Smokin-it or Cookshack.

Set&forget out of the box no mods.. really just want to leave it the way it comes

im looking to just only do ribs and chicken..

I want electric
Should i do wood or pellet?

The most reasonable, no mods needed, plug it in and cook is the Smoken-it line.
For JUST Ribs and Chicken, any MES will do the job, No Mod other than a separate Therm to measure cabinet and meat temp. But that should be on your purchase list with Any Smoker you buy. If you want to smoke stuff that takes longer than 6 hours for Ribs, and you will, you will want to get an A-MAZE-N Pellet Maze or Pellet Tube for the MES or to Cold Smoke in any Smoker you choose...JJ

I've got a Smokin-It and don't have any complaints. Customer service is excellant (3 yr warranty) and its built like a tank, very well insulated. I use a Smoke dual probe thermo with it. Set it and forget it. You can burn wood chunks, chips, or cold smoke with an A-MAZE-N tray using pellets or saw dust. They usually have holiday and Black Friday sales 10 % off IIRC and usually throw in an accessory or two with the sale price.
https://www.smokin-it.com/

Last edited:
Reactions: chef jimmyj
I am on my 2nd MES 40. When/if this one dies, I plan to get a 3rd.

I also have a traditional Brinkmann Smoker (charcoal/chunks)...I use this for high temp smokes

I have had a Brinkmann electric bullet-type smoker (entry level stuff, but worked well - now out of business) and have used my brother in laws Oklahoma Joe Offset Smoker (not a fan - too much fire fiddling for my liking).

I was deciding between these two MES units does the big difference in the heating element watts a big deal? I Do live in Ohio if that has anything to do with maintaining smoker temp with it being cold outside during the winter months..

MES 430|S
800w cooking element and 150w Custom Smoke element
————

MES 440|S
1200w cooking element and 150w Custom Smoke element

——

Mes340g
No heating spec available ?

1200W struggles with a full 40" Smoker. No way the 800W would be able to keep up in cold weather...JJ

Bearcarver Bearcarver is the one to ask on this...

My two cents worth -
  • I would go with the MES40 over the 30...Simply put - you can smoke small things in an MES40 but the MES30 may make you cut some bigger items to size so they fit.
  • As for the 800W versus the 1200W unit...I would want to know what all is on the same circuit breaker as the smoker. 400 more watts may cause some issues, especially on an older home like mine. But if I could manage the load, I would go with the 1200W unit.

If you want an alternative to MES, I would suggest a Smokin-It smoker. I much prefer using my Smokin-It #3 over the MES 30 that was my first smoker.

Reactions: S-met
I much prefer using my Smokin-it #3, Smokin Tex 1400 or Cookshack SM008 over my MES30.

Reactions: S-met
What’s the best electric smoker to buy?
there are so many brands yet they all have their issues of false temps etc.. my current dynaglow won’t even get to 225monitoring temp with my own temp probe that i verified in boiling water Etc, any ways i don’t want to use that smoker.. so im looking for a small to medium sized smoker
Set&forget out of the box no mods.. really just want to leave it the way it comes

im looking to just only do ribs and chicken..

I want electric
Should i do wood or pellet?
I was deciding between these two MES units does the big difference in the heating element watts a big deal? I Do live in Ohio if that has anything to do with maintaining smoker temp with it being cold outside during the winter months..

The Best one per the $$$ in my book is the MES, and the best model is the MES 40 Generation #2.5. No Mods needed, except it works better to use an Amazing "AMNPS", instead of the built in smoke generator.

You should have a set of Digital Wireless Therms too---Something similar to the Maverick "ET-732".

Here's more on how to tell them apart & which one is best:
Masterbuilt Smokers (Bear's Thoughts & Findings)
MES Generation Number Recognition Pictures & Pics (Digital Units)

As for the 800W and 1200W elements:
If you have an MES 30 the 800W is probably enough in both your "Ohio" and My "Pennsy", but the 1200W in an MES 40 is better all the way around.

Bear

The Best one per the $$$ in my book is the MES, and the best model is the MES 40 Generation #2.5. No Mods needed, except it works better to use an Amazing "AMNPS", instead of the built in smoke generator.
Bear
MES has a pellet smoker i see, i see a lot of people recommending the amnps so would it be just better to buy a pellet smoker?

MES 440|S Bluetooth Digital Electric Smoker

BF9F165C-2AC5-4F0D-BCE4-546E27CA7067.jpeg

Jaspreet l‘ve also been looking for an electric smoker. The MES 440S has a lot of appeal but look at the reviews especially from Amazon they are horrendous. There has to be a better unit out there than this especially for that kind of money. I’m in no hurry as I have a jerry rigged electric smoker I’m using now. Looking forward to see what one you chose and hopefully whey.

MES 440|S Bluetooth Digital Electric Smoker

View attachment 411986

We talked about this "MES 440" on here before:
Last I heard it wasn't out yet, but I believe it will be about $600 base price, and with so many exciting additions to the normal MES it's bound to have a couple years worth of problems. IMHO I would stay away from it, myself.

Bear

Bear

We talked about this "MES 440" on here before:
Last I heard it wasn't out yet, but I believe it will be about $600 base price, and with so many exciting additions to the normal MES it's bound to have a couple years worth of problems. IMHO I would stay away from it, myself.

Bear

Bear

Can you send the link exactly to what 40 series MES You recommend i look into?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky