Belly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Suggestions for a first time on makin bacon?
Absolutely.
Weigh the meat or pieces of belly, then to each individual piece apply a dry rub made this way.

Salt) 1.5% (to meat weight, can be higher but this is what I and many others like)

Sugar) .5-.75%

Cure #1) .25%

Mix this up for each piece. Rub all sides with all of the mixture as evenly as possible. Then place the piece in a plastic zip bag, remove the air and refrigerate. Turn every day or two for 10-14 days. Pat dry and smoke. Then re-bag and rest in refrigerator for at least another day before slicing.

Reactions: DougE
Absolutely.
Weigh the meat or pieces of belly, then to each individual piece apply a dry rub made this way.

Salt) 1.5% (to meat weight, can be higher but this is what I and many others like)

Sugar) .5-.75%

Cure #1) .25%

Mix this up for each piece. Rub all sides with all of the mixture as evenly as possible. Then place the piece in a plastic zip bag, remove the air and refrigerate. Turn every day or two for 10-14 days. Pat dry and smoke. Then re-bag and rest in refrigerator for at least another day before slicing.
Works perfect every time once you have the salt and sugar dialed in to your liking. Just don't mess with the 0.25% cure .... you can maybe go a little lower, but this amount of cure is the standard most everyone uses.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
What's a good scale for weighing these?
I use a digital Taylor that goes up to, I think, 11 lbs. for the meat ....... does grams as well but just measures whole grams. Bought that one at the grocery store.

For cure/spices, I use a smaller capacity scale that measures down to hundredths of a gram. My reloading scale doubles as a spice scale since it measures in both grains and grams.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
What's a good scale for weighing these?
I use a spring/dial face scale for meat. Goes up to 50#, I think. Then I have a Taylor brand scale that will weigh in 10ths of a gram for cure and spices. I have a smaller scale that weighs in 100th gram that I use for some spices when not weighing my gold.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky