Belly crackling questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mike w

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 13, 2014
Virginia
I need some advice. I have four fresh pork belly skins leftover from bacon projects, two I am rendering for the fat today and I want to save the others to make cracklings for a BBQ later in September for some british folks. They asked for american BBQ and I thought adding a plate of cracklings would be a special treat if I smoked them before finishing in the oven.

Can I freeze the bellies and then use them? I think I can but I wanted to see if anyone has done this and ran into problems after thawing and cooking.

I was thinking about using foamhearts recipe here http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/190014/pork-crackling-not-cracklins-foamheart

Would this taste good to the British palate? The reason I ask is because I smoked pulled pork for a preschool fundraiser and a buddy did traditional pork loin and belly with cracklings and stuffing. I grabbed a bottle of off the shelf south carolina bbq sauce and I had made a slighy sweet finishing sauce and the ladies liked mine whereas the fellows liked the traditional recipe.

Or should I use another recipe for the cracklings?

I'm going to do pork butt with a spicy rub and less brown sugar. I will tone down the sweetness on the finishing sauce and im going to make three bbq sauces and put them in squeeze bottles so people can pick and choose for this picnic.

Thanks in advance!

Yeah im good to go for the rendering part. The skins from today are going to be dog treats.

Thoughts on freezing the fresh bellies and making crackling from them in a few weeks?

Yeah, just freeze them, the thaw them, score the skin with s sharp knife, pat dry, cover with oil the salt. Low and slow, 3-4 hours then hot to crackle.

Thanks SM!

I was just thinking about that hot air gun, have you ever used it to sear a steak? Wondering if it would be a better alternative than using a propane torch. How hot does it get?

Thanks molove. There is a screwfix thats close. I can stop there instead.

Screwfix do one for about a tenner that works well for lighting charcoal, I've had mine a couple of years with no issues

I got the air gun today and it worked great lighting some pellets even with it being windy outside. Thanks for that suggestion!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky