Bell Fabrications Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice smoker, and great looking ribs! Guess you had a happy Thanksgiving!

Ryan

Congrats on the new smoker, I got my offset smoker a year ago October and enjoyed learning how to cook with it last Thanksgiving. You are going to have fun with it and will be cooking some tasty grub.

I would definitely recommend the tuning plates. Immediately after firing it up I was able to adjust the two tuning plates for a 5° difference from left to right.
I had a conversation with Craig recently about this. He says when he uses his own pit, he doesn't use tuning plates. Contrary to what we all read all over the inter webs, he DOES use his smoke stack to regulate temperature. Says he doesn't choke the fire and end up with nasty, dirty smoke. Uses that with his firebox valve and ash dump both open but not fully.

I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but will hopefully in the near future.

I had a conversation with Craig recently about this. He says when he uses his own pit, he doesn't use tuning plates. Contrary to what we all read all over the inter webs, he DOES use his smoke stack to regulate temperature. Says he doesn't choke the fire and end up with nasty, dirty smoke. Uses that with his firebox valve and ash dump both open but not fully.

I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but will hopefully in the near future.
I have used the ash dump valve a couple of times, it helps increase airflow if you need hotter temps or help getting a log going.

I have used the ash dump valve a couple of times, it helps increase airflow if you need hotter temps or help getting a log going.
Yes, I use that as well.

Just saying that when I was talking with Craig about temps being uneven, he said he controls that with the exhaust stack damper.

That’s great but if it was twice as long you could stager your splits and it would burn twice as long. I can get a 4 hour burn.
Hey there Smokin peachy. How big of a firebox give you a 4 hour burn? Is this a 500 gal we are talking about? Im looking at 26 by 24 firebox in my next smoker and curious how big of splits make sense...or how long a burn to expect with a proper fire.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky