Bell Fab on order - need advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hockeydudde

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
New Mexico
I have a Bell Fab offset on order, here is what I currently have specs.
1. 24 OD x 48 long cooking chamber - 3/8
2.Fire box cooking grate (no pot warmer, that's okay)
3. Removable Second level grate in cooking chamber
4. Smoke stack collector
5. Double doors

About to ask about:
1. Wood rack underneath
2. T handle for moving
3. Rain cover for the chimney - either a removable lid or something like a chimney cover.
4. I'd prefer a natural or seasoned finish if possible.

What else should I add/ask about?

When it's ready we plan to take the kids to the Gathering Place (aka best playground in America) and then drive the smoker home.

Thanks!

Talk to TNJAKE pretty sure this is his smoker brand and can give great info

I've been on the waitlist since October - I've spent a... not insignificant amount of time reading posts on these and other forums in planning for this. Hoping to speak to Craig sometime this week to finalize the plan and start the build. I don't want to get too crazy with customization - that is, I want his guidance on which customizations will make a better Bell Fab smoker. I've seen people make requests because it's what they've seen on other smokers, but end up making a worse Bell Fab smoker. From the people I've seen post with minimal requests for modifications, I trust Craig's design. Here is the list of options I'm considering and questions I have:
  • Tuning Plates
  • Back door on firebox (not sure this is necessary)
  • Pot warmer
  • Temp probe ports (on the smokestack?)
    • What about a smoke collector? Is it necessary?
  • Log Rack
  • Ball valve for grease drain (45º valve?)
  • Grilling rack in firebox
  • Folding front shelf (does this weaken the welds?)
  • 4 Wheels instead of two
  • Rods for smoking sausage
  • Make sure ash dump and grease drain are flush with bottom of cooking chamber/firebox

I have a 30x48. The t handle is standard I believe. If it isn't you will definitely want that. Mine has 4 wheels and I added tuning plates. 3/8in steel. Weighs in right about 1000lb so don't plan on moving it much lol. Only thing I wish I'd have added was a hinged front shelf instead of a fixed one. Makes for a long reach
IMG_20210501_115534.jpg
IMG_20210113_161322.jpg

I got on the waiting list in December after talking to Jake, then Craig. I’m just going with his design. I trust him. I’m getting the trailer option so I can tow it, also opted for the burners to fry or make soup because….I’m afraid I’ll see a need for them at some point! I feel that way about most options too, for the trailer anyway, if it doesn’t affect how it cooks, I’m going with it.. If I’m dropping that much may as well push it a bit more for options that’ll make life easier. It’ll still be a few grand cheaper than most quality smokers I looked at.

No doubt I have to open lids from the side of shelf and I'm 6ft 1
Very good to know. It was one of the things in his designs that made me scratch my head and trust. I’m 6 foot and by some of the photos on trailers I was thinking I’d need a step ladder!

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll add the hinged shelf, good tip.
N nothingtoofancy , you've been waiting since October?! When I spoke with Craig, he said 6 weeks out, back at the end of January. Should I be expecting a longer wait?

Hockeydudde Hockeydudde , I can't speak to what his current lead time is, but when he and I spoke in mid-October, he said 10 weeks, which would have put us at the end of December. Factor in the holidays and perhaps a couple of other hiccups, and here we are. I know he's busy, so I'm just gonna wait my turn and do my best to not to let my anticipation turn into impatience.

Reactions: Hockeydudde
Thanks TNJAKE TNJAKE and N nothingtoofancy .
I'm happy to wait, I have the okjoe to hold me over. My concern is that we plan to pick it up (11 hour drive) and my wife is pregnant. If it gets too a certain point, she isn't allowed to sit for that long. But I'm not going to stress about it for now. Things will work out.
Thanks!

Reactions: bauchjw and TNJAKE
Thanks TNJAKE TNJAKE and N nothingtoofancy .
I'm happy to wait, I have the okjoe to hold me over. My concern is that we plan to pick it up (11 hour drive) and my wife is pregnant. If it gets too a certain point, she isn't allowed to sit for that long. But I'm not going to stress about it for now. Things will work out.
Thanks!
Congrats on the baby! Thats about the same distance I drove to get mine. Saved me 900 bucks minus what I spent on gas, food, hotel, beer. But more importantly the freight shipping can take weeks. We use to have a member here that had one delivered to Oregon and it took like 3 months and he ended up with a damaged unit

I spoke with Craig yesterday and when I placed my order in early December, he was about 60 days out. He has been extremely busy, and it appears his orders have come in hot and heavy. He is finishing up a custom trailer (about 7 to 10 days left on it) and was going to get to some backyard smokers after the trailer (mine included). I know it's tough to wait it out and the anticipation can be downright antagonizing, but it will definitely be worth the wait and our weather in East Texas has not been the best for smoking unless you want to sit out in the rain, wind and sleet with a cold beer and wearing heavy artic gear.

Freight is insane right now. Truck load quotes are up almost 200% over last year and LTL (less that truckload) shipments are not guaranteed to pick up or deliver on time. Between fuel prices, driver shortages and lack of workers in the warehouse it’s getting to the point things are barely moving.

Reactions: jcam222
Freight is insane right now. Truck load quotes are up almost 200% over last year and LTL (less that truckload) shipments are not guaranteed to pick up or deliver on time. Between fuel prices, driver shortages and lack of workers in the warehouse it’s getting to the point things are barely moving.
950 lb. only took 5 days so I’m not complaining.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky