Being an American

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

virgo53

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Found this, like to know what ya think.

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on Immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.

"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American an d assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language... And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

I agree..

At the expense of opening a can of political worms, I have no problem with immigrants or other races, cultures, colors, etc.. We are all immigrants if you stop and think about it but I am not Irish or German or African American even.. and whether I agree with our leadership or our involvement overseas does not change the fact that I am 100% American and darn proud of it!

To become an American, you only have to BE an American!

And that is all I'm saying on that!

I am proud of many things, but the top 3 in my ranking are this:
1. I am proud to be a born-again Christian, saved by the grace of God.
2. I am proud to be an American, also by the same grace.
3. I am proud to be a Texan, not a native -born Texan but I got here as soon as I could......
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Your pal, Harold

My grand parents were not born here on either side. My Mama's family came here from Italy in 1906. My fathers family came from Montreal Canada about 1920.

We we not ALLOWED to speak Italian or French! We were Americans! ONly in swears did the native tongue come to the fore front.

The biggest holiday in my family has been and always will be July 4th. I work for the Navy and listen to colors every morning and it still brings tears to my eyes. When others run to escape the need to stand and listen I proudly stand at attention with my hand over my heart and a lump to my throat.

If you do not want to be an American then leave my country! It is a privledge not a right and other privledges of being an American are earned not through paying honor and homage to America not simply because you are here.

ONE NATION UNDER GOD...
a7615b23_vbattach12985.jpg

I totally agree with each one of you and I wish we had another leader of our country that had have the courage of Teddy Roosevelt.

Very well put Marvin. I don't suppose the polls they all want to react to now tell them it's the right time to be a proud American and secure our country.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky