Beginner's Question on Brining

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

abraxasil

Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
Southern Illinois
I've been reading around on the forum on brining turkey and other meats. So now I have a question: when you brine meat before smoking doesn't the meat pick up a lot of salt that you wind up tasting in the final product?

Not really, the solution is …taste your brine ahead of time, if it tastes too salty, it probably is! (I learned that from Dutch!) When you brine your meat you are exposing the meat to a chemical action called osmosis (where the salts attempt to equalize themselves in and out of the meat. The trick is while this is happening other flavors, i.e. honey, spices and the like travel with the salt and get trapped in the cells of the meat and remain there for your eating pleasure!
wink.gif

Thanks a lot, Carl. I was wondering about it getting too salty - I never thought about tast esting the brine, DUH! :oops: Oh well, you never learn unless you ask.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky