Before I start - Several questions???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rwmcdaniel

Original poster
Jun 11, 2018
I have an MES 30. What is the mail box mod? I have seen several references to it but I don't know what it is.
How low should the ambient temp be before trying to smoke cheese?
What are the best woods for smoking cheese? I have an Amazn pellet tray.
I appreciate any and all suggestions...

Mailbox mod 2.jpg .. Mailbox mod hooked up.jpg .. mailbox int..jpg .. mailbox ext..jpg ... LEGS 4.jpg .. element and elbow.jpg

I have a WSM, so I can't comment on the mailbox mod. I like to smoke at temps below 60F, and use Apple pellets turned into dust. The smoke seems more mellow to me vs. pellets.

You want above freezing, below 60 for smoking cheese.

I've used apple and cherry woods my self, and I prefer up to 5 hours with apple :)

I also have a Mes 30, all I use anymore is the mailbox mod with the pellet tray. It's well worth the little bit of time it takes to make, great for smoking cheese and the longer smokes like ribs,chicken, etc.which you will get in to. Good luck

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky