Beer Stick Recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Been a while since i have made these.
My original recipe.
I am not a Yuengling fan but this beer taste the best with these sticks.

Yuengling Beer Sticks

From the vault.
For 10 lbs, If you want 5 lbs just reduce this recipe in half.

10 lbs ground chuck. 80/20 or 85/15
1.5 cups nfpdm
4 T kosher salt. For a 5lb batch, taste the mix, if needed add more kosher. Easier to add than to remove.
2 t cure 1
2 T brown sugar (light or dark your choice)
4 T paprika
1.5 T Ames Phos (retains moisture) OPT.
NOTE: Too much Phosphate will ruin your mix.
1 Heaping T ground black pepper
2 t garlic granules
2 t marjoram
2 t nutmeg
2 t chipotle powder
16 oz yuengling beer. Kinda get it flat before adding to meat

Mix cure into meat, add the dry and mix well. Add the beer, mix well.
Put meat in zip lock and fridge overnight before stuffing. Smoke in your normal way

This sounds good. I will try it soon. Its finally getting warmer here.

And we got a chill in the air tonight

you could always aggressively pour the beer instead of waiting for it to get flat. more bubbles the better

Been a while since i have made these.
My original recipe.
I am not a Yuengling fan but this beer taste the best with these sticks.

Yuengling Beer Sticks

RICK BURDEN·FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 2, 2016·

From the vault.
For 10 lbs, If you want 5 lbs just reduce this recipe in half.

10 lbs ground chuck. 80/20 or 85/15
1.5 cups nfpdm
4 T kosher salt. For a 5lb batch, taste the mix, if needed add more kosher. Easier to add than to remove.
2 t cure 1
2 T brown sugar (light or dark your choice)
4 T paprika
1.5 T Ames Phos (retains moisture) OPT.
NOTE: Too much Phosphate will ruin your mix.
1 Heaping T ground black pepper
2 t garlic granules
2 t marjoram
2 t nutmeg
2 t chipotle powder
16 oz yuengling beer. Kinda get it flat before adding to meat

Mix cure into meat, add the dry and mix well. Add the beer, mix well.
Put meat in zip lock and fridge overnight before stuffing. Smoke in your normal way
Sounds like a great recipe! I’ve only tried meat sticks once...years ago. And it didn’t work out very well! Would you mind posting your typical smoking process for these? Smoker temp? Typical time?

Non Fat Powdered Dry Milk = nfpdm
Ames Phos is food grade phosphate. Sodium triphosphate.
Used to retain moisture in sausage and large cuts of meat like boars head in the deli. You do not have to use it in this recipe thats why i said OPT.

Amesphos, specialty sodium triphosphate blend for meats, seafood and poultry.

AmesPhos improves texture, maintains that fresh-made taste, and reduces bacteria.

Phosphates are used in a wide range of processed meat, poultry and seafood in which they perform several functions. Phosphates improve the retention of natural fluids in the animal muscle that would otherwise be lost in the aging, cooking or freezing process. They also act as protein solubilizers to aid in binding processed meats. Their presence results in improved texture, flavor and color.

Due to a unique instantizing process and the combination of short and long chain phosphates, AmesPhos will dissolve completely at temperatures as low as 20 F and in the presence of salt. Additionally, AmesPhos will dissolve completely in hard water and will not cause phosphate precipitation.

Specifications:
Combination of: Sodium Tripolyphosphate; Sodium Pyrophosphate and Sodium Hexametaphosphate
Appearance: White granular powder

Advantages:
  • Improved cooked flavor.
  • Reduced loss of meat fluids.
  • Increased tenderness and juiciness
  • Improved firmer texture
  • Better and faster color development
Suggested usage levels:
One third to one half of one percent (0.3 to 0.5%) of the finished product weight.

For home sausage making: Use approximately one fourth to one half teaspoon per pound of meat. Dissolve the phosphate in water before mixing into the meat mixture. Mix into meat until well distributed, mix for approximately five minutes.

For dipping or soaking applications: AmesPhos is dissolved in water (5.0 to 7.0 % solution at 60 to 70 F, typically). Solution concentration will vary by application. The solution should be chilled, (33 to 35 F, typically) prior to use. The product is then dipped into the solution. This method is used primarily for seafood (scallops, shrimp, fish fillets, approx. a 2 minute dip.) and poultry (marinating of strips or breasts, 6 to 8 hour marinating). The age of the seafood will affect moisture retention so it is important to minimize any delay between harvest and phosphate treatment.

Sounds like a great recipe! I’ve only tried meat sticks once...years ago. And it didn’t work out very well! Would you mind posting your typical smoking process for these? Smoker temp? Typical time?

I been using this for years. works good for me.

Here is the temp and time scale i use for most of my sausage making. I use this for chubs and sticks. Please note that YOUR RESULTS MAY VARY. (sticks will not take as long as larger chubs)
Outside weather conditions can also have a big part of how long it takes the meat to target IT.

TRY NOT TO EXCEED SMOKER TEMPS OF 170 (see #6 below)
I do not use a meat probe while smoking, the probe can cause fat cavitation and give false readings. Use a Thermapen to check IT of meat. I know that opening the door is going to increase your time, just the nature of the game.

Hang your stuffed casings at room temp for 2 hours to dry and set. Have your smoker pre heated at 130* I use a TSM with PID and PitBoss vert electric pellet smoker. Keep your top vent open. Closing the vent off will increase moisture inside your smoker and give you an unpleasant discoloration on your product. Remember this is semi dry sausage, not dripping prime rib.

1. Hang in smoker at 130* for 2 hours (no smoke)
2. 140* for 1.5-2 hrs smoke (Use of a water pan is your call)
3. 150* for 2.5 hrs (smoke opt)
4. 160 for 2.5-3 hrs (smoke opt) check meat IT here from the top of the chubs. You may have a stall in this time period.
5. Increase smoke temp to 170* (opt smoke) For 3-4 hrs. Check IT again, You should be close to your target IT of 152/53
6. If needed increase smoker to 172-174* for 1-2 hrs. DO NOT GO HIGHER OR YOU WILL RISK A FAT-OUT. CHECK IT OFTEN
7. If you dont have time to do a complete smoke you can use hot water to finish to your IT.
DO NOT EXCEED A WATER TEMP OF 170 AND MOVE THE CHUBS/STICKS AROUND IN THE WATER. Cold water bath after your IT is up to you. If you have a SV the water will circulate

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky