Beef Tenderloin - My first with QView

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pastorgadget

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
Shelby Twp.
I wanted to do something than the regulars, brisket, pork butt, chicken and ribs.  I opened up my favorite Cook book on smoking Smoke & Spice by Jamison. After perusing the recipes I thought I would try Beef Tenderloin. I went to my favorite meat shop and got 2# beef tenderloin.

Brought it home, dry roasted some garlic

Peeled the garlic and mashed it up with some olive oil and salt and shared the love with the tenderloin

Then wrapped in plastic to get happy for a little while. Got my gasser ready for smoking and preheated a fry pan to sear the tenderloin.

Smoker got to temp, I put beef broth and water in the water pan. put the smoker in, cook book says it will take about an 1.25 hour to 1.5 hours

So now I wait and see.  I will post pics after I cut and taste :)

Reactions: disco
Here are the rest of the pics,

Right before cutting rested for 15 minutes. 

Sliced and ready to go

On my plate, ready for my belly 
drool.gif

This was a real winner, we were all surprised by the smoke flavor the tenderloin had, one of the smokiest flavors we have had to date. Moist and tender. This will be done again.   IT tasted great but more garlic could have been used and my family likes there meat medium not medium rare. I liked it but they would prefer more well done, so next time I will take it to 150-155.  My wife has to watch her sodium so I reduced salt to 1/2 teaspoon so we will need to increase the garlic to two instead of one. 

Now did you not cook the tators for the mashed in the smoker?  Doing that would some good flavour to the mashed potatoes.  And while doing the potatoes, throw a few garlic in there also to add to them.  After smoking the meat, Potatoes and Garlic, you would have a delicious meal.

music-064.gif

canada-flag-14.gif

Last edited:

Ok internal temp reached 145 so I pulled it. Going to wrap in foil and let it rest about 15 minute. Wife is making mashed potatoes, from scratch of course.

You have the smoker going, and she is boiling the potatoes??????  Really now, why not put them in the smoker, mash them after they are cooked, much better mashed taors.

That looks absolutely beautiful!! One thing, I'd check your thermometer's accuracy and/or make sure you had it in the center mass of your roast. If you'd pulled that at 145˚, it would have coasted to 150˚ or so which would in no way be that rare. I'd guess that meat was in the 125˚ range when it came off the smoker. I only mention it so you can get a more accurate shot at getting your meat the way you and your family want it. For me, what you did looks right about perfect, but if you want things more done an accurate way to check temps will help. Your intended temperature of 145˚ would have been a perfect medium otherwise.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky