Beef suet...good for using to make venison SS?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
So wanting to make some venison summer sausage and snack sticks... would beef suet work well for this or not? I know many say to use pork butt which gives approximately 80/20 ratio of meat to fat. But to get an 80/20 mix for SS with my venison I don't really want to add that much pork and lose the venison flavor.

Thanks
Ryan

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Beef suet can/will go rancid. This is why you can store pork fat rendered as lard shelf stable for a time but not beef fat. I wouldn’t do the beef fat , myself.

Typically I would use pork back fat but nobody had any on hand. I do have some left in freezer from last year but butcher said it will go rancid also so don't want to trust it. As they are talking 3 to 8 inches of snow for us tomorrow thought it would be a good day for grinding and stuffing. But I could get the beef suet, just butchered today

Ryan

I have used beef before but not in a fermented summer sausage. Used beef back fat. Kept it frozen until use. Thawed and ate in each setting. Tasted great. Didn't leave it unrefrigerated for any length of time over 4 hrs

This won't be fermented summer sausage. Mixes from Owen's BBQ, using cure 1 with both sticks and ss. Will always be refrigerated, not something that is shelf stable.

Ryan

In my experience, the beef fat is fine to use. Sure tastes great on a prime rib or a steak, even a nice hamburger! However. The shelf life of that sausage will be short. Eat it fast and you will be happy. Freeze some and go back after it in 6 months, you may not recognize it.

In my experience, the beef fat is fine to use. Sure tastes great on a prime rib or a steak, even a nice hamburger! However. The shelf life of that sausage will be short. Eat it fast and you will be happy. Freeze some and go back after it in 6 months, you may not recognize it.
If it lasts that long! Lol Not making huge batches, have several different types of sticks I want to try and the ss seasoning is new to me also.

Ryan

Reactions: SmokinEdge
In terms of fat. Pork fat makes lard. You can save bacon grease in a can to cook with. Pork lard will keep a long time. So it’s the go to fat for venison or even pepperoni where added fat is necessary. Beef fat will not keep. Otherwise we would see it more in recipes. You won’t be happy with beef fat over time. Short term use and consumption, you will get by, but longer term, pork fat is our friend.

I will respectfully disagree with frozen beef fat losing it's best flavor. The year I made mine with beef I made 30 lbs. It took us 10 months to finish it all and had no ill flavors. I did take mine right from smoker to deep freeze set at -20f where it stayed until thawed but everybody loved it.

First, I want to thank you for your responses. If I would be better at taking notes, that I could find when needed, would help. Have no clue what I used the last time I made sticks as far as fat, but they were good, dang CRS! Been even longer since I did ss.

Ryan

Ryan I usually use beef fat when making summer sausage and have never had any problems with it going bad in the freezer or with the taste. I normally get the beef fat when I can vacuum seal it and into the freezer then take it out and defrost it in the fridge when I'm ready to make the sausage. Once the sausage and or sticks are done most are vacuum sealed and into the freezer as I usually make at least 10 lb batches.
Summer Sausage I like to use 70% venison 20% beef fat 10% pork butt if I can get it all. I just made some and couldn't get the amount of beef fat needed so went 10% beef fat and 20% pork butt it's done and in the fridge but haven't tried it yet.
Let me know how you like the Owen's seasoning in it I'm thinking I want to try some.

Beef suet is not the same as beef fat. I wouldn't use suet for any thing but feeding birds. Beef Trim fat on the other hand if great for venison (especially burger). As far as using straight fat (pork or beef) in smoked sausage, I learned that it does not work well (the hard way). I ended up with a smoker full of rendered fat! Straight venison an pork butt for al my smoked sausages.

Hey Ryan, ive used beef fat before in summer sausage. Usually the trim off of other cuts of beef I have saved. But ive never used beef suet . from my understanding its a lot like what they use from a pig to make leaf lard. Used for baking and pastries. Its going to render at a very very low temp. I would stay away from the suet.

Ryan I usually use beef fat when making summer sausage and have never had any problems with it going bad in the freezer or with the taste. I normally get the beef fat when I can vacuum seal it and into the freezer then take it out and defrost it in the fridge when I'm ready to make the sausage. Once the sausage and or sticks are done most are vacuum sealed and into the freezer as I usually make at least 10 lb batches.
Summer Sausage I like to use 70% venison 20% beef fat 10% pork butt if I can get it all. I just made some and couldn't get the amount of beef fat needed so went 10% beef fat and 20% pork butt it's done and in the fridge but haven't tried it yet.
Let me know how you like the Owen's seasoning in it I'm thinking I want to try some.
Thanks for your response. You'll like the Owen's bbq seasonings , or at least we do. We have made their original and honey bbq sticks. They are great people to work with...when we ordered our seasonings they were out of a couple so it took a little longer to get them ( like a couple days or so) so they sent along a free package of their Dakota sausage (enough for 25 lbs), its very good and it's gone lol. Hardest thing to decide is which seasonings you want to get!

Ryan

Guess I should have added in we use the suet when we grind our venison into burger, at 15 %. Have done so for years. My wife prefers it, if gonna make burgers for the grill then mixed with some fatter burger. We have never had any issues with flavor using it that way. Just didn't know how it would work in ss and sticks.
Want to thank you all for your responses, I appreciate it. So far it looks like 6 of one and half a dozen of the other! :emoji_blush:

I seem to have quite a bit of it, and it was free
20201228_210753.jpg

I had found a thread from a long time back with a response from chopsaw chopsaw but can't seem to find it again.
Oh decisions!

Ryan

Ryan , if it's a small batch and that's what you have I would go for it .

Owens has great seasonings . Just made up 5 lbs. of breakfast sausage . Really good .
I've used ,
Regular stick
Red barn bologna
German bologna
Regular Summer sausage
Garlic summer sausage
Ground formed bacon .
Philly brat mix .
All good , and like said great to deal with .

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Beef suet can/will go rancid. This is why you can store pork fat rendered as lard shelf stable for a time but not beef fat. I wouldn’t do the beef fat , myself.
Not to start an argument here but I wonder is at least part of the shelf stability of lard cannot be attributed the pasteurization it goes through while being rendered.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky