Beef suet...good for using to make venison SS?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Not to start an argument here but I wonder is at least part of the shelf stability of lard cannot be attributed the pasteurization it goes through while being rendered.
Lol, no arguments here. All inputs are welcome.
When I was little, we had a grease can with a screen filter inside that we poured all of our bacon grease into. When we needed to fry up something, almost daily, we dipped into that can with a spoon for grease and went to cooking. In those days we butchered most all of our own meat. Beef, lamb, pork chicken and of course we hunted deer and elk Locally. We mixed beef fat or suet into of course our ground beef, but also wild game. These items were consumed pretty fast though. For sausages we only used pork fat. When you have 800# of beef in a freezer along with a couple pigs a couple lambs and chicken, well, you have a years worth of meat in the freezers For a family. The first meat to start tasting a little funny was alway the beef at around 6 months. It was the outer fat at first, but then quickly in the next couple month it was the marbling in the steaks and roasts, burger too. At 8 months or so you just wanted to get through it so we could get a fresh one. Later in my life, maybe mid 20’s, I decided to try saving rendered beef grease In the same type of lard can as bacon. This went bad within a month or so. I mentioned this to my dad and he just laughed and laughed. It doesn’t work. Moral of the story is beef fat is ok if you consume the product fairly quick. If not just use pork fat. Believe it or not, when my dad was little, they stored their fresh meat in lard barrels, no refrigeration for them at that time, was always pork lard never substituted or mixed with anything. Nothing else would keep.

Reactions: indaswamp
Lol, no arguments here. All inputs are welcome.
When I was little, we had a grease can with a screen filter inside that we poured all of our bacon grease into. When we needed to fry up something, almost daily, we dipped into that can with a spoon for grease and went to cooking. In those days we butchered most all of our own meat. Beef, lamb, pork chicken and of course we hunted deer and elk Locally. We mixed beef fat or suet into of course our ground beef, but also wild game. These items were consumed pretty fast though. For sausages we only used pork fat. When you have 800# of beef in a freezer along with a couple pigs a couple lambs and chicken, well, you have a years worth of meat in the freezers For a family. The first meat to start tasting a little funny was alway the beef at around 6 months. It was the outer fat at first, but then quickly in the next couple month it was the marbling in the steaks and roasts, burger too. At 8 months or so you just wanted to get through it so we could get a fresh one. Later in my life, maybe mid 20’s, I decided to try saving rendered beef grease In the same type of lard can as bacon. This went bad within a month or so. I mentioned this to my dad and he just laughed and laughed. It doesn’t work. Moral of the story is beef fat is ok if you consume the product fairly quick. If not just use pork fat. Believe it or not, when my dad was little, they stored their fresh meat in lard barrels, no refrigeration for them at that time, was always pork lard never substituted or mixed with anything. Nothing else would keep.
thanks for the reply. I was ranch raised and have butchered my own meat for most of my 71 years. I can relate to your experience with beef. however since the kids have left a beef lasts well over a year. Vacuum sealing extends the life greatly. And yes fried foods are much better fried in bacon grease. Have a great day!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky