Beef Snack Stick Experiment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Motorguy

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 7, 2013
Green Valley, Az
I’ve been making snack sticks for a while, trying different recipes and methods. I usually stuff collagen casings with my 5 lb LEM stuffer and put the sticks on the smoker for a while with various woods, usually hickory. I was reading something where a guy used a LEM Jerky Cannon to make un cased sticks and I got intrigued so I bought one. Here’s what happened.

The LEM Jerky Cannon came with a package of Backwoods snack stick seasoning so I decided to give that a try as I’m still looking for that perfect seasoning recipe. I did add some ECA for a bit of tang.
pic1.jpg

The Cannon came with not only a jerky tip (which I doubt I will ever use) as well as a ½ inch snack stick nozzle.
pic2.jpg

I mixed up 3 lbs of 80/20 ground beef and filled the tube. After stuffing the tube, I just started squeezing the trigger and out came nicely shaped rolls of meat. A slow and steady hand is helpful in this process.
pic3.jpg

As this was a total experiment, I decided to try using my Camp Chef pellet grill instead of the smoker just to see how that would work. The temps were low starting at 125 degrees moving up to 175 degrees so I was able to apply as much smoke as I wanted.
pic4.jpg

The racks stacked perfectly and fit in the grill area without an issue.
pic5.jpg

I kept medium smoke up for the first 2 hours, then reduced it to very low for the remainder of the cook time, which turned out to be about 3 hours to get an IT of 170 degrees.
pic6.jpg

When they were done, I was quite happy with the results. It was actually kind of nice not to have to mess with stuffing casings and all that entails. I also liked using the pellet grill.
pic7.jpg

The one lesson learned was that it’s a good idea to spray the racks with PAM which I neglected to do…

Looks good. Ground beef jerky is pretty good as well. Since it came with the attachment you should give it a try.

Looks good. Ground beef jerky is pretty good as well. Since it came with the attachment you should give it a try.
Thanks. I have always used eye of the round. I have some extra 80/20 ground beef. Since the Cannon came with a package of jerky seasoning, why not...Appreciate the comment.
Jeff

Caseless snack sticks are a good option if you have the room to lay them on racks as you did. I also make caseless breakfast links like the little sizzlers made by jimmy dean.

Caseless snack sticks are a good option if you have the room to lay them on racks as you did. I also make caseless breakfast links like the little sizzlers made by jimmy dean.
Funny you should say that...I just made a batch of breakfast sausage links this morning using the Cannon..went great. Thanks.
Jeff

Reactions: indaswamp
I pranked my nieces with some ground meat jerky. I dried a couple piles shaped like cat poo and left it where they would see it. They came running to tell me. I said, yep it looks like it, picked it up and smelled it. Their eyes were huge. The twins were 5 at the time. When I bit it and swallowed, and said yep it is poo, they went screaming for my wife to tell her. Too funny.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky