Beef Short ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I bought these at Sam's. They pretty thick. Should I smoke or grill them?

20191210_102703.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say they are too thick to grill. Short ribs need time to break down unless sliced thin. I'd smoke or braise them.

Ditto this.

And even when they're sliced thin they can still be awfully chewy. Normally I'd say smoke those puppies, but with the thickness you're dealing with you may get a better result braising them. They look thin enough that I'd be worried they'd dry out a bit if you smoked them. That's just a hunch though.

Checkout recipes for "Kalbi" which are Korean style grilled short ribs, my Sam's cuts them like that too. I marinade at least overnight if they are the 1/2" thick ones, then grill over medium heat (or raised direct), then I like a foiled finish with some beer to get them tender, then back on the grill a few minutes to crisp back up a little.

Hint: if your Sam's has those, they are cutting them in the back room from the two-pack of 3-bone "plate rib" racks which look like this. They will sell the full racks, there is just so much more profit in cutting and marking up, you hardly see them in the meat case.

B3VchdW.jpg

If you smoke these like you would a brisket (and I do a wrapped finish), you will get some Dino ribs like this.:

iZ5sGFJ.jpg

Reactions: fowldarr
Checkout recipes for "Kalbi" which are Korean style grilled short ribs, my Sam's cuts them like that too. I marinade at least overnight if they are the 1/2" thick ones, then grill over medium heat (or raised direct), then I like a foiled finish with some beer to get them tender, then back on the grill a few minutes to crisp back up a little.
I was wanting to make Korean style grilled short ribs but thought they might be to thick.

Last edited:
I was wanting to make Korean style grilled short ribs but thought they might be to thick.
Just be mindful of the tenderness and moistness when grilling. A tooth pick works good for probing. Depending on the amount of sugar in whatever recipe you use too high of a fire might burn them, that's why like a medium heat fire. A foil step helps me dial in the perfect tenderness. An end sear brings them all together.

They look thicker than what I would grill. Smoke for a couple hours: then wrap with some liquid or smoke then braise in a pan over some veggies for jus. The flanken cut short ribs that get grilled are usually much thinner than what you have (as far as I can tell from the pic). Good luck they look nice :)

I’d just hit them with SPOG, a little Accent if you are ok with that and smoke them at 275F to somewhere between 190F and 205F / till probe tender in all spots. I find they have enough richness and flavor to shine on their own with just this simple rub and process. They are my favorite thing currently for smoking / eating.

Reactions: sawhorseray
I’d just hit them with SPOG, a little Accent if you are ok with that and smoke them at 275F to somewhere between 190F and 205F / till probe tender in all spots. I find they have enough richness and flavor to shine on their own with just this simple rub and process. They are my favorite thing currently for smoking / eating.

I gonna do half grilled and half smoked. About how long they take you to smoke?

So post pics when you cook them. No pics, it never happened - I'm with jcam222 jcam222 and the rest - smoke & finish high. Any beef rub & hickory, mesquite, or post oak will really take 'em up a notch. Got some in the freezer now so thanks for bringing them up, I think I'll thaw those sucker out. They're good!

Hint: if your Sam's has those, they are cutting them in the back room from the two-pack of 3-bone "plate rib" racks which look like this

From the image that the OP posted, it looks like 4 bones so probably chuck, right? Still great, but in my experience they seem to take a little longer to cook than plate.

Another option is Sous Vide/Smoke combo. I've never done flanken cut ribs, but I've done regular chuck dino ribs and they are amazing.

The bottom half all fat. Piss me off. They where fairly expensive than the steelhead did not smell to great. Should take all back. This last week not gone good. Usually dont eat out much but went out 3 times and not very good. Worse was the Rib Crib. So dry could not eat! Back to my own cooking! Nothing like throwing money away. Started my PT for shoulder surgery last week. Still at least month out from going back to work. Aetna has me back last week. Still workig on that. Time for a drink.

They ended up spending 24 hours in marinade. Plan was to sear than braise and finish on grill like was suggested. Pulled off to put in foil pan and tasted one. Was about med rare. Man was it good. I stopped right there. Could of spent couple more minutes on grill but was like the best steak I ever ate! The other half are about 90% fat. Thinking about using them for hamburger.

20191212_122513.jpg

This isn't directly related, but the next time anyone smokes a full plate, KEEP THE BONES AND MAKE BONE BROTH WITH THEM.

I did a plate last year for the Super Bowl, then used my instant pot to make bone broth with the rib bones. A day or two later I made a beef and barley soup with that broth and the leftover scraps of meat and an elk shoulder roast (there wasn't much left over and I like lots of meat in my stews) to make a beef and barley stew. I kid you not, my wife fought me for leftovers. It was amazingly good, and bone broth is really good for you.

I haven't spent much time on these boards for a while so I don't know how many people use an instant pot, but it's stupid easy to make amazing soups/stews with any smoke leftover. I make bone broth with anything I smoke bone-in. White bean and leftover pulled pork, turkey stew, beef and barley... It's a game changer.

Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky