Beef Short Rib Ragu

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

four20

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 21, 2016
Laurens S.C.
Well it is a no smoke weekend and today I will be making and canning 10 - 12 quarts of my short rib ragu. With both the wife and I working we have to find the time to keep 2 kids in college and our 10 yr old girl spoiled. Well I do the spoiling because daddies little angel never does anything wrong. So canning this sauce allows us to have quality meals with low effort. This also allows us to get some veggies in the kids without them knowing, and keeping our portion size in balance with our daily needs.
We start by searing 1 lb of short rib
20221218_115654.jpg
I also brown 1lb of sirloin stew chunks
20221218_115830.jpg
Now I add a bag of baby carrots, a stalk of celery, and 1 whole red onion ( medium size ) and some red wine... Duplin Hatteras Red. This can all be large chunks as we will be grinding this all up to be our sauce base.
20221218_120840.jpg
Once its simmering it goes into the oven at 350 for the afternoon. I have to go fight the mule now, but I will return with updates.

I feel for farmers and ranchers it's a tough life. You all made America then the corporate farms took over and fucked everyone :<( . Is your donkey a tard i hear they are kinda dorky lol. get em one of those big balls with the handles.

I feel for farmers and ranchers it's a tough life. You all made America then the corporate farms took over and fucked everyone :<( . Is your donkey a tard i hear they are kinda dorky lol. get em one of those big balls with the handles.
He has one, and no he is highly intelligent. This was my great grandfathers farm. It has dwindled from 2000 acres to 40 acres..... yes and a mule. It was a chicken farm, layers only. He kept it thru the depression because he had military contracts. My granfathers first wife died in an accident and he went nuts for a while. All he has were daughters and they shut down the farm. The fields turned to Forrest. I am slowly beating back into shape. I am clearing what I can when I can afford it. This farm is to give rescue animals a loving home.

To be continued. I have a church function to attend tonight. I have put my tomatoes in the oven at 250f to warm while I am gone.
20221218_152737_HDR.jpg
Remember we batch cook this, and can it in quarts and pint jars for long term storage.

Reactions: JLeonard
This farm is to give rescue animals a loving home.
My hat is off to you for this.
A friend of mine has a small farm and she brings in a lot of horses that need homes . Now most of them are now helping to work with handicapped folks and kids . And she has also set up doing lots of work and care for people with PDST. It is an on going concern for her to keep this going. But she has a big heart and very determined. She has 1 miniature horse and 2 mini Donkeys that run the yards . Even over the Clydesdale's and the Peregrines. It is funny to watch.

Plus watching your process on the meal

David

Alright then. first we stick blend our hot tomatoes.
20221218_203014.jpg
Meat removed from veggies and we stick blend them. That beautiful sweetness from the carrots really comes through.
20221218_203009.jpg
Now add 2 tbsp of Cavenders greek seasoning per #10 can so 6 tbsp for this batch. I also added 1/4 cup molasses, 1/4 cup Alaga syrup, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, and 3 tbsp of minced garlic. Salt to taste. This batch was 1 tbsp of sea salt.
20221218_203305.jpg
Now add the shredded beef...
20221218_204826.jpg
Jar it for this I am using 6 qts for large meals. and the rest in pint jars. I will give a final count of pints later as the quarts come out of the pressure cooker. Don't ask how long this has been in my family
20221218_205652.jpg
I am processing the quarts at 15 lb for 90 minutes and the pints will be 75 minutes. Use pressure and time that best fits your area.

I know when I am dialed in because i can spin my weight..... When you know it spins longer than should.... You can ....can....

Reactions: DRKsmoking
Looks great!
We've been canning meat for convenience meals, but it takes a surprising amount of meat to fill canner load. I've got to try something like this to stretch it.
Thanks for sharing!

Looks great!
We've been canning meat for convenience meals, but it takes a surprising amount of meat to fill canner load. I've got to try something like this to stretch it.
Thanks for sharing!
We add some browned Italian sausage, peppers and onion as a topper for our pasta meals when we use it.

Looks great!
Thanks for sharing!
Just canning meats takes alot and waste alot for my family, but canning soups, stews, and meat sauces stretch that meat farther.

Looks great. A friend of mine does a batch of "red gravy" every year and hands it out to the group. I think he ended up with 38 qt or something along those lines this year.

Got mine this weekend, waiting for the GF to come back to town so I can share and we try it out.

Thanks for sharing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky