Beef Ribs @ 300 F

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tedpoppke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 11, 2021
Hi, I'm doing beef ribs this Saturday.
I use a gas grill and have trouble keeping the temperature below 300 F during the summer.
In NoDak in February I can hold it closer to 200 degrees...

How many hours should I plan for beef ribs at 300 degrees?

Thanks!

Do you have beef loin back ribs (meat between the bones) or plate ribs (meat on top of bones) which can be short ribs or the long bone 'Dino' ribs?

Do you have beef loin back ribs (meat between the bones) or plate ribs (meat on top of bones) which can be short ribs or the long bone 'Dino' ribs?

No idea! A friend bought part of a cow and mentioned that she didn't like the ribs and usually just tossed then into the slow cooker. I threw a fit and now have 22 pounds!

Attachments

• 20210727_123847.jpg
    20210727_123847.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 66
300 is fine, just probe for temp after 3 hours, pull them at 205 internal.
Kosher salt and large particle cracked black pepper work great on them!

@smokerjim.78795
@thirdeye.22161Z

Attachments

• 20210727_124727.jpg
    20210727_124727.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 66
@smokerjim.78795
@thirdeye.22161Z
Okay, now we're talking.... those are short ribs. They are just like the long-bone version I showed, but have been crossways. This is why your neighbor could fit them into a slow cooker.

So, at 300° I'll guess 6 hours provided the last 2 hours are wrapped. But these ribs can be stubborn to cook tender.

Another neighbor (from a farm family) gave me a small pack of beef ribs a couple of months ago. At 5 hours, they were edible, but not tender. I had also over-spiced them.

Question - do I trim off a lot of the fat cap?

Another neighbor (from a farm family) gave me a small pack of beef ribs a couple of months ago. At 5 hours, they were edible, but not tender. I had also over-spiced them.

Question - do I trim off a lot of the fat cap?
Unless it's really heavy, I keep it on and remove it after cooking.

As they are. And I would start them early and allow plenty of time! Easier to keep them warm than to be starving and waiting for them. Or eating them before they are actually done.

Ryan

Thanks!
I've had a couple of great batches of pork ribs and I usually let them rest for a bit because I hate serving late;

Attachments

• 20210705_160100.jpg
    20210705_160100.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 32
Thanks for the help.
Will put them on a covered tray in the fridge to start thawing!

Here is what I used for rub on beef ribs in the past, after 5 hours they were still underdone. This rub was too salty and spicy for me;

Allspice 1/2 tsp
Garlic - powder 2 tsp
Mustard powder 2 tsp
Onion - powder 1 TBS
Oregeno 2 tsp
Paprika 2 tsp
Black pepper - fine 1 TBS
Cayenne pepper 1/2 tsp
Chili powder 2 tsp
Table salt 2 TBS
White sugar 1 TBS

Will probably cut most of the salt out and take out the black pepper and cayenne pepper.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky