Beef Rib Tips

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Hockeydudde

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 31, 2022
New Mexico
Haven't seen these posted before, so thought I'd throw them up here. I'm also not sure what to call them so if anyone knows a proper name, I'd appreciate it.

Smoked beef Rib tips this weekend. If you think of plate ribs as spare ribs, these are the cartelougous false bones that get trimmed off st Louis cut. The rib tips are the center and right ones. Left is a TINY brisket that ride along. It's from the first year we butchered and had no clue what we were doing. All seasoned with SPG.

PXL_20220917_182844713.jpg

Rib tips were at around 300 for about 6 hours until 206 and I could nearly poke my finger half way through. You can see the rib tips sticking out the one side. I wanted them to have a long rest to try to get as much carteloge broken down as possible.

PXL_20220917_233227514.jpg

PXL_20220917_233047059.jpg

Rested at 165 in my MES for nearly 24 hours. Sliced and served with a fried veggie assortment. Bloomin onion, okra and brussel sprouts.

PXL_20220918_232007953.MP.jpg

PXL_20220918_232141666.jpg

They came out amazing. Moist and tender. Picking the meat from between the false bones we the best part.
If you think the end of spare ribs is the best part, you should try these!

P.s. I clearly don't know how to spell cartelouge... And neither does my phone. Sorry.

Thanks for the kind words!
Unfortunately, this was an entire cows worth, so will have to wait for next year for more... 😑

Have you ever bought a pack of lamb ribs that are called "Lamb Breast"? You get the regular rack and some additional sections, one of which looks like a small version of your rib tips.
vrikjgj-jpg.jpg

Thanks CTXSmokeLover CTXSmokeLover .

Have you ever bought a pack of lamb ribs that are called "Lamb Breast"? You get the regular rack and some additional sections, one of which looks like a small version of your rib tips.
View attachment 644317
We raise sheep, because I like lamb so much 🤤.
That said I haven't found a method for ribs/breast that I'm in love with. They either dry out a little and the fat isn't rendered with low and slow, or grilled, they get a great crunch, but the meat isn't quite tender. Haven't tried in-between, only have one rack left from the spring butchering. Can you share the method you used there?

We raise sheep, because I like lamb so much 🤤.
That said I haven't found a method for ribs/breast that I'm in love with. They either dry out a little and the fat isn't rendered with low and slow, or grilled, they get a great crunch, but the meat isn't quite tender. Haven't tried in-between, only have one rack left from the spring butchering. Can you share the method you used there?
Sure. This is domestic lamb and I'm guessing yearling size. I trim the heavy fat areas and score when necessary.
AIYcqKp.jpg
I use an indirect set-up with a pit temp around 275°, and pretty much mirror the method I use on pork ribs.
8nkWpgG.jpg
I do use a wrapped step (meatier side down, separate pouches) with a few pats of butter to avoid sticking, and an ounce or so of liquid (broth, juice, etc.) and cook until tender, then return the main belly racks to the pit to firm up the bark. The other pieces will be shred (to mix the fatty with the lean) or cut into small 'tip' sections.
Dkcl6YA.jpg
We usually have the belly ribs for one meal and use the remainder of the meat for street tacos or serve in pita bread.
xWtuQBF.jpg

Reactions: JLeonard
Can you please pass the cutting board please? Looks delicious! And a blooming onion...oh my! And if I can spell cartilage, do I get two platefuls?
:emoji_blush:

Ryan

Sure. This is domestic lamb and I'm guessing yearling size. I trim the heavy fat areas and score when necessary.
View attachment 644351
I use an indirect set-up with a pit temp around 275°, and pretty much mirror the method I use on pork ribs.
View attachment 644352
I do use a wrapped step (meatier side down, separate pouches) with a few pats of butter to avoid sticking, and an ounce or so of liquid (broth, juice, etc.) and cook until tender, then return the main belly racks to the pit to firm up the bark. The other pieces will be shred (to mix the fatty with the lean) or cut into small 'tip' sections.
View attachment 644353
We usually have the belly ribs for one meal and use the remainder of the meat for street tacos or serve in pita bread.
View attachment 644354
Totally forgot about this post. Went looking for lamb ribs ideas and this is what came up!
My wife wanted to cook them in the oven and it was chilly/windy outside so I didn't argue.
Baked at 275 for 2.5 hours. Covered at 350 for 45 minutes. Rested for about 45 minutes.
Came out tender with crisp fat. They went fall off the bone, but they were difficult to cut. The meat on the outside was a little dried.
Next time I'll start then earlier so I don't have to bump the temp.
Delicious though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky