Beef rib nomenclature- Dino's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nicefly

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 9, 2016
Houston, Texas
Hi All,

Long story short I really want to smoke some Dino's. I plan on going to a meat shop that raises it's own. They may have what I want in the case but it is the type of place where you can walk in the cold room and point at something hanging. I just want to know what to point at if need be.

I am watching a youtube vid on beef butchery from the University of Kentucky, it is an hour long. Figured I would get a good description here as well.

I understand removing the plate from the ribeye. Do Dino's come from the plate? Are they from the short rib part closest to the ribeye or closer to the belly?

Thanks in advance,
John

To0A4Qn.jpg
R7MVfl0.jpg
iZ5sGFJ.jpg
Both the bronto ribs (3 to a rack) and the dino ribs (4 to a rack) are belly plate ribs, and the meat is on top of the bones. Back ribs are the ones that are on a bone-in standing rib roast, or on a bone-in ribeye steak. The meat is between the bones on a rack of back ribs.

Bronto ribs are below the rib primal and dino ribs are sometimes called chuck plate ribs, so they are forward of the dino ribs. When full length plate ribs are cut cross-wise they are short ribs, or English ribs. When sliced thin, they are called flanken or Korean style ribs.

Here is a good video on ALL ribs, but in the first 5 minutes they cover the bronto and dino ribs.

Last edited:
The butcher I used to use called them Dino Ribs. Can’t recall what Costco calls them, but I know them by sight. Kinda unmistakable.

The said butcher also charges a crap ton more than Costco. I have since stopped shopping there. Mostly buy at Costco and CPB when I want to splurge. I never really noticed much difference between the butcher meat and Costco meat. FYI.

Yours sounds like they have good meat as they raise them selves, but that will be expensive. Just a thought.

Thank you for all the replies. It helped alot thank you!

Stopped by the meat market today. Picked up some Dino's. I told the butcher "Dino's" and a nod and a visit to the walk in and the band saw I got what I asked for. 3 ribs from the Chuck side of the plate.

I am ashamed to say what I paid. Alot less than I thought. I notice it is a much deeper red than storebought. It has been hanging so the texture/moisture is different. Plan on doing this Sunday moring with pork belly, which I have never done before either.

Thanks again to you all. I am pretty pumped.

Attachments

• price.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 35
  • rib profile.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 25
  • Rib side.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: chilerelleno
So cough it up haha, how much were they?
Yea; Don't be afraid to talk money. I'm already jealous cause good meaty beef ribs are unobtaniam around here, so you can't hurt my feelings any more by talking price.

Thanks and likes to 3rd eye and JCam for great info.

I get the 3-bone plate ribs at Sam's Club. Have to ring the bell and ask the butcher for them, never on display. RAY
Sam's Club is sneaky sometimes. They slice those full racks thin to sell as flanken ribs. I've never seen the full racks in the display case either. The same goes for the 20# boneless 'chuck roll' roasts, only in the walk-in cooler. Sam's sells them mostly to people and restaurants that grind their own burger. A few years my Sam's had a small price list on the wall which listed items that are not stocked in the display cases.

Another tip: if you like to wet age your brisket or beef primal, ask to see some from the walk-in, this way you can get the pack date from the cases and wet age more accurately.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky