Beef navel

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
So I have a beef navel and I saved the thick half to make burnt ends out of it next spring. So I have a thinner piece now, probably 1/2 inch or so. any thought what to do with it. Too thin to do burnt ends with?

I have a source for navel but have passed up as more expensive than brisket.
Traditional pastrami is made from navel.
1/2" is very thin. Not a burnt end fan due to the sugars.
My thoughts would be pastrami from the thicker side and burnt ends from the thin side.

I have a source for navel but have passed up as more expensive than brisket.
Traditional pastrami is made from navel.
1/2" is very thin. Not a burnt end fan due to the sugars.
My thoughts would be pastrami from the thicker side and burnt ends from the thin side.
Thanks for thoughts, I’ve never done burnt ends for something that thin so now sure if that’s gonna be an issue

wPC6QML.jpg
How about the best of both worlds, pastrami burnt ends? 1/2" is pretty thin so you will have to be careful about not drying it out. And you could steam or pressure finish for tenderness.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky