Beef Navel Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Where are you finding beef navel that cheap?
Home place pastures carries it now for around $5/lb

Last edited:
Reactions: Schwarzwald Metzger
Very, very juicy. Cure went all the way through. The next one I make I will have it in brine for 3 weeks, as I want it saltier..... Or I can just put salt in rub ( which I didn't this time)
Looks absolutely fan-freaking-tastic!

I will probably never use a submersion brine again. The folks here taught me to dry cure corned beef/pastrami using an equilibrium cure and the difference is night and day. You can make it exactly as salty as you want and it's going to be the same salt level every time, and the spices are really prominent and up front and don't taste like they've been sitting in liquid for 2 weeks.

2 weeks vs 3 weeks or even 3 months in a brine won't change the amount of salt you taste. You would need to up the amount of salt in the brine.

3.27 lb is nice, especially if the trim is good and solid and could be added to grind.

Check out what TNJAKE TNJAKE has going on in the first reply to your thread. His dry cured beef bacon is just missing the pickling spice to be corned beef/pastrami. He has a thread on it somewhere and I'm sure he'll be updating it very soon (if he hasn't already)

I will probably never use a submersion brine again. The folks here taught me to dry cure corned beef/pastrami using an equilibrium cure and the difference is night and day. You can make it exactly as salty as you want and it's going to be the same salt level every time, and the spices are really prominent and up front and don't taste like they've been sitting in liquid for 2 weeks.

2 weeks vs 3 weeks or even 3 months in a brine won't change the amount of salt you taste. You would need to up the amount of salt in the brine.

3.27 lb is nice, especially if the trim is good and solid and could be added to grind.

Check out what TNJAKE TNJAKE has going on in the first reply to your thread. His dry cured beef bacon is just missing the pickling spice to be corned beef/pastrami. He has a thread on it somewhere and I'm sure he'll be updating it very soon (if he hasn't already)
Lol beef belly bacon comes out of the dry cure in 2 more days then a couple days for the pellicle. You'll see a new thread towards Halloween

Thanks for the tips. I do want to try a dry cure with it.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Gents, sorry that didn't plate it up, but this pastrami sliced thin, fan fried, and thrown on some rye with mustard is spectacular. Thanks for all the advice, I count this as a win and will be doing it again with a few variations and tweaks.

IMG_20221024_184113637.jpg

Gents, sorry that didn't plate it up, but this pastrami sliced thin, fan fried, and thrown on some rye with mustard is spectacular. Thanks for all the advice, I count this as a win and will be doing it again with a few variations and tweaks.

View attachment 646825
I'd call that a win as well. Nice work bud

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky