Beef for Summer Sausage grinding

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

djreaction

Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Hi All,

I am going to be making some Beef Summer Sausage. What is the best deal for beef to grind?  I found a Chuck roast for around $2.59lb. Is that a decent price?  Are there better cuts that I can use to make a good Summer Sausage?

Is it best to go to a place like Sams to buy it, are the deals that much better?  Whats the best bang for the buck?

PS. I will be mixing it with pork which I already have purchased and ready to grind.

Thanks for the help!

It is going to depend on what is on sale in your area. I see a lot of recipes with chuck in them for sure

Sometimes I buy ground chuck if it's a better price

How would brisket work? There are some good deals right now for it.

Shame you weren't in Canada last week!

AK1 could buy Standing Rib Roasts for $1.99.

That's what they sell 80/20 ground beef for around here!

Bear

Why not use pre ground beef and then mix it up and stuff it? I know you don't know what goes into it but would the final product really suffer that much?

Why not use pre ground beef and then mix it up and stuff it? I know you don't know what goes into it but would the final product really suffer that much?

I have done that more than once with good results. As I posted earlier I use what beef I can buy cheap if it's already ground so be it

icon_cool.gif

I would look for whats on sale and if you can find some already ground for really cheap then I would use it. You will have enough time to grind up more meat in the future. Now I always check at Sam's they usually have good prices and if you guy have a Restaurant Depot they also have really good prices. I'm always looking at prices whenever I'm near either of them.

Getting ready to do my first summer sausage. I'm thinking of making the first one a beef summer sausage instead of a beef/pork combination. If I use a rib or chuck roast and grind it, do I need to add additional fat? If I use ground chuck, do I need to do a second grind or use it as it is? 

I think I have the process down, just need to confirm what to start with. I'll be using Excalibur H Summer Sausage mix this time as I want to concentrate on the process first, then get experimental.

Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I would go with beef chuck roast or ground chuck.  Ground chuck is 80/20 so no pork is needed.  First cut chuck roasts have more fat content than center cuts and end cuts [as i call them]  Even some center cut chuck roasts have at least a 80/20 lean fat ratio. So for summer sausage a chuck roasts or ground chuck would not need additional fat in my opinion. You will have to eye-ball the chuck roasts.  If you see the first cuts with that big sleave of fat through the middle  i would skip that and go for the more marbled  center cut for summer sausage. If you dont want to pick out a chuck roast just go with the ground chuck because it works just fine.  Reinhard

I would go with beef chuck roast or ground chuck.  Ground chuck is 80/20 so no pork is needed.  First cut chuck roasts have more fat content than center cuts and end cuts [as i call them]  Even some center cut chuck roasts have at least a 80/20 lean fat ratio. So for summer sausage a chuck roasts or ground chuck would not need additional fat in my opinion. You will have to eye-ball the chuck roasts.  If you see the first cuts with that big sleave of fat through the middle  i would skip that and go for the more marbled  center cut for summer sausage. If you dont want to pick out a chuck roast just go with the ground chuck because it works just fine.  Reinhard
Great info Rein. Lucky to have you butcher boys in this forum. I had no idea what was center or end.  With your description  now I know! 

This helps a lot. Thanks for the breakdown and options. I think I'll start with the 80/20 ground chuck from the store and see how that works out. I'll post the results.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky