Beef Back Ribs, post as I progress

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kevin DeShazo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Nov 7, 2018
Was in the grocery store earlier and came across a package of beef back ribs and they peaked my interest as never doing them before.

Got them home, put away the groceries, grabbed the ribs and pulled the membrane off the backside. Having never done this before, gonna work then like I would baby back ribs but with different rubs. Also trimmed off any large pieces of fat

20221218_140737.jpg

After the membrane came off, hit them first with a good helping of Whiskey Bent Ancho Americano ancho chili and coffee rub, then I topped it off with a little bit of Meatchurch Texas Sugar for a lil touch of sweetness.

20221218_141039.jpg

Gonna hit them with some sweet apple smoke soon as the smoker is ready. Dont worry, not planning these for dinner for tonite, more of an experiment, so when they are done, they are.

Ill update this when I make my next big move.

If ya have any suggestions, please let me know. Still considering wrapping or not. Not a fan of wrapping BBs so not sure about these either.

Forgot to mention, running these at 250 with some apple in the MES

Last edited:
I'm in, they just take time. Here's a thread by TNJAKE TNJAKE ...

So Im in the haul till prob 10ish. And if by chance they are not done by time its time to head to bed, maybe Ill play with the sous vide a bit tomorrow

Reactions: JLeonard
So first head scratcher and think I know the answer, been in since 220p, its now 4p, they have already hit 187. If that is not, Ill check in a bit, my probe is off. Only running 250. Probe could also be close to a bone as well.

Ill check and report back soon

Reactions: negolien
They can be tricky to probe for temp. I never worry about the IT on beef ribs. I focus on probe tender? They pulling back on the bones yet?

Thanks Jake, Ill keep that in mind. They are just starting to pull back. Next time I check them, Ill poke them but still felt tough

20221218_162832.jpg

Reactions: negolien and TNJAKE
Agreed, temp just thru me a bit. Im just gonna let them go for a bit and check them in a bit.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Coming along quite nicely, at the 4 hr mark, hit them with a lil more ancho coffee rub. Got some nice pullback on the bones. Getting closer to probe tender, not quite but getting there.

Sorry pict is a lil grainy but you get the idea.

20221218_182337.jpg

Reactions: negolien
Started probing about 4 hrs in, 5 hrs was the number for these hunks of beef.

Pretty happy with the outcome for a first go round. I will say, one of the two rubs, if I had to take guess the ancho coffee, was salty. Almost too salty but I think with a bit of a tangy or sweet sauce for a lil dip, should be pretty dang good.

And last but not least, one final pict of my meat.

20221218_200248.jpg

Reactions: tbern and jaxgatorz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky