Beef and vegetable stew

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

73saint

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 8, 2017
Near New Orleans La
A family favorite around here. And we have been eating a lot of “out” food. So, the Mrs requested it, and I had everything we needed for a good, hearty batch.

The ingredients (what was already in the house):
2lbs beef stew meat
1 sweet potato
3 medium carrots
1 large yellow onion
1 bag fresh green beans
2 turnips
3 celery stalks
2 Tbs minced garlic
1 bag vegetable medley frozen veggies
1 lg can stewed tomatoes
2-3 bay leaves
Salt, pepper, parsley, worshestichire , kitchen bouquet, Tony’s, garlic powder & white pepper to taste.

The sweet potato was a first for me. Certainly won’t be the last. Added a wonderful color and mild sweetness to the stew. The turnips, call me weird but I prefer them over potato’s in a stew like this. I love the flavor of them.
A00CDB73-E7B9-4764-B12B-1A220F331AD5.jpeg
Started by cleaning and chopping all my veggies. I course chopped everything bc we like that chunky style in our stews.
890C23AB-4CAA-43D4-9DDF-7AB0D3D19E21.jpeg
I got a pot searing hot with olive oil and browned my beef. Then I separated the beef from the jus, and sauteed all of my veggies (minus green beans) in the meat jus. Added my dry seasonings and worshy sauce & kitchen bouquet .
69C53012-7C1A-42B6-8C50-10B86B33E674.jpeg
79CF6BAB-4127-42A8-9392-C90023CC0B3D.jpeg
Let that all cook down for a minute, then I added the meat, chopped veggies and stewed tomatoes (then the beans). Filled the can about half way with water and added that to the pot as well. Brought that to a boil, then covered and simmered for a few hours. Came out delish!!
ED1CF168-8EB1-4FFF-8ACD-CAF461A3B9C6.jpeg

Attachments

• E7E940FC-FFD2-4B32-8877-22452345B391.jpeg
    E7E940FC-FFD2-4B32-8877-22452345B391.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Man that stew looks rich and hearty!! Love the inclusion of turnips, I think they are really underrated.

Reactions: 73saint
Man that stew looks rich and hearty!! Love the inclusion of turnips, I think they are really underrated.
Thanks jcam! Yes, I agree on the turnips. I can even eat them raw. I think I need to pickle some, love pickled turnips but I’ve never made em.

Last edited:
Thanks jcam! Yes, I agree on the turnips. I can even eat them raw. I think I need to pickle some, live pickled turnips but I’ve never made em.
I love pickles turnips in a good chicken shawarma wrap!! I’ve made them a couple times for that.

Stew looks good. Turnips are not something I ever ate growing up. My wife's family had them mashed with Thanksgiving Supper. Frankly, they tasted horrible! Powerfully pungent with an cooked to death cabbage flavor. I have to assume it was my MIL'S preparation and not that Turnips are supposed to taste that bad. Listening to you guys raving, I'll have to give them a shot if I can find fresh Turnips to play with. ..JJ

I prefer turnips to potatoes also.............when I was a kid you could not get me to eat them but now I love them. They go in everything if I can find them, stews, soups, roasts. Good looking stew.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky