Because everything is better with bacon.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

will work 4 bbq

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
FEMA REGION 9 (california)
Hey gang last night i smoked up a batch of Pepper bacon and maple bacon. It cured for 10 days. Smoked it at 200f for about 3 hrs using Maple pellets until it hit 155f. Once i took it out i let chill in the freezer for about 3 hrs so it would be easier to slice in the meat slicer. I just wish i could make nice long slices like normal bacon but the slicer cant handle it. Oh well, its still delicious.
20220718_182336.jpg
20220718_192239.jpg
20220719_195604.jpg
20220719_195606.jpg
20220719_201030.jpg
received_1207995989996628.jpeg
received_1207995989996628.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Your bacon looks fantastic!
I used to have a 12” commercial slicer & could slice bacon in long strips BUT, I would cut them in half so I could fry them. Sooo, now I just cut the bellies in half before slicing them & I have perfectly cut bacon for my pan!
Al

Reactions: will work 4 bbq
Some fine looking bacon there, nice work! I trim my bacon to fit into a 11" vac-seal bag , and just by dumb luck that's the max length that will work on the carriage of my meat slicer. Sometimes I have to trim the smoked belly a bit to make it all work, what get trimmed goes well with beans. RAY

Some fine looking bacon there, nice work! I trim my bacon to fit into a 11" vac-seal bag , and just by dumb luck that's the max length that will work on the carriage of my meat slicer. Sometimes I have to trim the smoked belly a bit to make it all work, what get trimmed goes well with beans. RAY
Thank you, that's what's planned for all my trimmings.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Doug has you covered for making full length slices, I usually slice some that way for wrapping stuff, the long slices are nice for that. Otherwise I agree with Ray, trim the belly to fit the vacuum bag and slice. I have the LEM big 10” slicer which Looks a lot like yours and only has about 7 1/2” of travel on the carriage so I still have to fold my trimmed belly (10 1/2” to fit in the larger vac bags) over to slice, no big deal, still better than 7” slices.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Trying to catch up on posts I missed

Great looking bacon
Love the meat to fat ratio
1658664499403.png

Did your Maple flavor come through strong enough to really notice . Mine comes through
but not real strong. I will have to add more extract in the cure mix next time

David

That Bacon looks Outstanding!!
Like.
Don't need long strips! I like my Bacon "BLT size"!!
In fact, If & When I get a store bought pack of Bacon, the first thing I do is get the scissors out & cut the whole pack in half, before I open it.

Bear

Trying to catch up on posts I missed

Great looking bacon
Love the meat to fat ratioView attachment 638500

Did your Maple flavor come through strong enough to really notice . Mine comes through
but not real strong. I will have to add more extract in the cure mix next time

David
Sadly i barely get any maple flavor. Last time i made maple bacon i had mopped some maple syrup on it over night before smoking it, but that method would cause the sugars to burn when i was frying it up.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
I just wish i could make nice long slices like normal bacon but the slicer cant handle it.
It will handle it, I promise. I have a small chef's Choice 615 with an 8" blade and can do it. all ya gotta do it remove the handle and the plastic guard on the back of the sliding tray. Raise the belly over the back of the tray and gently slide it forward across the table and let it drop back down onto the slide. Of course you have to be really careful to keep fingers away from the blade and I recommend cut-proof gloves, but I've been doing it that way for years. If you need more documentation, just let me know. I smoked 36 pounds yesterday that I'll be slicing and can take pics for you if what I noted isn't clear.
Sadly i barely get any maple flavor
I can help here too depending on how you cure your bacon. If dry curing and you really want the flavor, just say so and I'll give you the details on how I make mine. Even if wet curing, I might be able to offer some ideas for you to try. The biggest trick for that deep maple flavor I learned from Ray ( sawhorseray sawhorseray ) a while back.

Robert

Sadly i barely get any maple flavor. Last time i made maple bacon i had mopped some maple syrup on it over night before smoking it, but that method would cause the sugars to burn when i was frying it up.
I tried a few times to make my Bacon taste like Maple Bacon---All failed.
*Real Maple Syrup in with the cure----fail
*Real Maple Syrup on before smoking----fail
*Maple Sugar with cure & After----fail
*You could add some when cooking or after cooking, but that would be a sticky mess.

There are a few guys on here who say they got their Bacon to taste like Maple, but I forgot who they are.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky