Beat way to do steak on BGE

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

floridasmoke1

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 20, 2014
Just cleaned out my GFs bge that she said hasn’t been cleaned in a looooong time.

Couple weeks ago we did some sausage. I burnt it. It was my first time using her bge, and first time using a bge at all. Didn’t have a lot of light in the patio either so I couldn’t really see the progress of the meat. Anyway. Lighting has been addressed. And the bge has been cleaned and ready to go.

We are going to be doing some flank or skirt steak in a couple weeks for some folks.

Can I get this bad boy up to 500 with the deflector plate in or should I go with straight fire? My only experience doing steaks on a grill is with an older charcoal grill I used to use. Never done it with an egg before. What’s the best approach?

Just cleaned out my GFs bge that she said hasn’t been cleaned in a looooong time.

Couple weeks ago we did some sausage. I burnt it. It was my first time using her bge, and first time using a bge at all. Didn’t have a lot of light in the patio either so I couldn’t really see the progress of the meat. Anyway. Lighting has been addressed. And the bge has been cleaned and ready to go.

We are going to be doing some flank or skirt steak in a couple weeks for some folks.

Can I get this bad boy up to 500 with the deflector plate in or should I go with straight fire? My only experience doing steaks on a grill is with an older charcoal grill I used to use. Never done it with an egg before. What’s the best approach?
on mine, if I 86 the plate and a big pile of lump with vents open it gets hotter than gates of hell.
i think. haven't been to hell...... yet

Reactions: 912smoker
thirdeye thirdeye has a couple BGE. Maybe he has some advice
Jake, thanks for the mention. Yes, I'm an Egghead from the old days.

floridasmoke1 floridasmoke1 Many moons ago a serious BGE cook by the handle of T-Rex promoted a front sear method for thick steaks, (pretty much hot and fast, no plate setter, with a rest and return to the grate at the end.) and it's a great method. Really good.
Then along came Chris Finney and my online buddy Steve Graves (aka Rumrunner, and also Ask a Butcher), who now resides in barbecue heaven. These guys mostly hung out on the Primo forum, and are both ambassadors to outdoor cooking of all kinds.... and early pioneers of the "reverse sear" method. REVERSE SEAR.

This ↑↑ method is still my favorite method. AND, you start with a lo-temp Egg, then finish with a high temp Egg, which is much easier to control . Bringing an Egg down to temp is hard. Go with the hot 'wake-up' finish. It does not take long.
1AUuQZA.jpg

PS - the reverse sear works with things like chops and pork steaks.
GMx7LPg.jpg
So, try it. And if you like it.... give kudos to Chris and Steve.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNJAKE
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky