Bear Jr’s Wife’s Turn

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Wow, that is one giant cat fish. Congratulations to Bethany
Thank You!!
Appreciate That!

Bear
Huge fish ! That's a great catch . Now she needs to make a Catfish cake the same size !
Thank You Rich!!
LOL---I'm sure if one of their friends asked for one for a Kid's BD, she'd make one!

Bear

Holy Smokes!

Since I was a kid we were catching them in the Monongahela River, but not that big. Since the steel mills have left and the rivers have cleared up, the catfish have been getting bigger and bigger. I have seen pictures of some as big as 36 to 40 inches. Isn't nature wonderful?

Congratulations,

John

Reactions: Bearcarver
Flathead catfish are deeeeelicious! Big or small...does not change the quality of the Meat. And you can eat the entire fish. The belly is the BEST! Don't throw that belly away!
Thank You Inda!
Appreciate that!

Bear
WOW! That is a nice one! Congrats to her.
No worries on the non-cooking posts. Thats why we got the sub-threads. We all like to brag on our kids and etc a little.
Jim
Thank You Jim!!
I know, but I know I do more than my share of bragging about him, but I don't know what I'd do without the things he does around here for us.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing that!

Ryan
Thank You Ryan!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Man that’s a whopper!! I really enjoy catfishing and always love seeing posts of a good fishing trip!!

Thank You Neighbor!!
He has a lot of Great trips lately, with Shad, Smallmouths, and now Flatheads.
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

First off Bear, I for one love all the posts you and others do, that are about what we do when not smoking/cooking. That is life.
Now that is one beauty of a catfish, all I have seen up here is shorter dark cats, and I have never had one. Now I have had salt water ones also called Wolffish ( ugly thing ) they are very sweet taste and great for deep fried fish and chips

David

Reactions: chilerelleno
That's one huge fish! Nice catch Bethany. Very impressive. Thanks for sharing.
Thank You Mike!!
LOL---LJ said Bethany was funny; She dropped that Catfish in the boat, so she was talking to it, and apologizing to it until they got it back in the water
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

WOW, what a huge cat, nice catch Bethany! Keep posting this kind of stuff Bear, we love it!
Thank You Cliff!!
I'm glad you enjoyed it.
And Thanks for the like.

Bear

Very nice!

Thank You Steve!!
And For the Like.

Bear

That's a nice fish and some mighty fine eating, John. The coloration is interesting in that the ones I see from here are more on the green side...
Thank You Charles!!
The ones I see around here seem to run mostly in a yellowish Green.

Bear

Nice fish , might have to give the susquehanna another shot, not sure if those monsters are up this way though
Thanks Jim!!
I checked with Bear Jr (AKA "LJ"), and he said they've been catching the Flatheads between Conowingo and Harrisburg, and the Smallmouth Bass from Harrisburg and Lancaster, up the Susky, and right on up the Northeast Branch until you run out of river.

Bear

Reactions: smokerjim
Nice catch!
Thank You Brian!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear
Wow! That's a big Flattie!
Even for us Southerners, that's a great fish.
Congrats to the Missus.
Thanks John!!
All my life, I've been catching Catties that were at best about 20" (Channel Cats), and Bullheads that are usually under 16" long. And I'd see these guys from the South Noodling these monsters from the deep. Now we finally got those big guys up here, and since they've been here a few years, it looks like they're here to stay. Too late for me, but a lot of PA guys are in for some fun, including Bear Jr, in the coming years.

Bear

Here mine today.

20220930_083218.jpg

I found those interesting, as I'd never heard of them before.
Sounds similar to Ling cod when I fished the Pacific from CA to AK.

Chili there are a few different types of Wolffish, but this is the type along the Atlantic coast. I have never caught one but have eaten it as deep fried Fish and Chips, very good, but still ugly, lol

David

Is wolffish good to eat? The lean, pearly white flesh of the wolffish has a firm texture and a mild, sweet flavor, sometimes likened to lobster. The meat has a flake similar to cod's but not as large. Wolffish skin is edible, but since there are no scales, this species cannot be kosher.
1664624885160.png

How big can a wolffish get?

ANd9GcQrOr2LdzcwqCW2A78uTmWuzjjgeoaVJeh_cYEia8uY&s.jpg

wolffish, any of five species of large long-bodied fishes of the family Anarhichadidae (order Perciformes), found in northern Atlantic and Pacific waters. The largest species may grow to a length of about 2.3 metres (7.5 feet).

Chili there are a few different types of Wolffish, but this is the type along the Atlantic coast. I have never caught one but have eaten it as deep fried Fish and Chips, very good, but still ugly, lol

David

Is wolffish good to eat? The lean, pearly white flesh of the wolffish has a firm texture and a mild, sweet flavor, sometimes likened to lobster. The meat has a flake similar to cod's but not as large. Wolffish skin is edible, but since there are no scales, this species cannot be kosher.
View attachment 644779

How big can a wolffish get?

View attachment 644782

wolffish, any of five species of large long-bodied fishes of the family Anarhichadidae (order Perciformes), found in northern Atlantic and Pacific waters. The largest species may grow to a length of about 2.3 metres (7.5 feet).

When I ws snorkeling in Hawaii, I ran into something looking like that, but since it was long, I thought it was some type of Moray Eel, but now that I see the ugly mug on that Wolfish, I think it might have been one of those. It's ugly head was sticking out of a hole in the Coral, so I didn't stick around long.

Bear

Reactions: DRKsmoking
First off Bear, I for one love all the posts you and others do, that are about what we do when not smoking/cooking. That is life.
Now that is one beauty of a catfish, all I have seen up here is shorter dark cats, and I have never had one. Now I have had salt water ones also called Wolffish ( ugly thing ) they are very sweet taste and great for deep fried fish and chips

David
Thank You David!!
It's very nice to be appreciated by so many nice Peeps on this forum!!
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Fun
This non cooking /smoking thread might be the precursor for another thread?
Sure, if you'd like. Any particular subject you'd prefer?
And Thanks for the Like.

Bear

Reactions: DRKsmoking
When I ws snorkeling in Hawaii, I ran into something looking like that, but since it was long, I thought it was some type of Moray Eel, but now that I see the ugly mug on that Wolfish, I think it might have been one of those. It's ugly head was sticking out of a hole in the Coral, so I didn't stick around long.

Bear

Sorry did not mean to take away from the story of Bear Jr and Bethany's fishing trip and the great Cat fish she caught.

Bear in the pacific waters and here there are Wolf eels that are from the same family of the Wolf Fish, look very close to that. I snorkel some and would not shove my hand into a hole because of them and lobster, lol.

The Atlantic wolffish (Anarhichas lupus), also known as the seawolf, Atlantic catfish, ocean catfish, devil fish, wolf eel (the common name for its Pacific relative), woof or sea cat, is a marine fish of the wolffish family Anarhichadidae, native to the North Atlantic Ocean. The numbers of the Atlantic wolffish in US waters are rapidly being depleted, most likely due to overfishing and bycatch, and it is currently a Species of Concern according to the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's National Marine Fisheries Service.[3]

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky