Be aware if you buy a Thermoworks Billows...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Big Grouch

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 11, 2021
I decided to try a Thermoworks Billows for my 18.5 WSM smoker. I contacted Thermoworks to see what exactly I needed, of course it won't work with my Thermoworks Smoke. Have to have the Smoke X2, X4 or Signals, I bought the X2. The Billows and the X2 need a 12 volt AC, USB-C adapter. They didn't tell me it doesn't come with what I bought after I asked what I needed. Also, it doesn't seem to be easily available locally, not at Best Buy, didn't even see it on Amazon. It appears it will plug into a power supply that won't even power it, must be 12 volts AC. It's only $12 from Thermoworks, and it seems it might be included with the Signals, but now I'm waiting for one to get delivered and it's messing up my cook this weekend.
I have no issues with Thermoworks products, my blended extended family has lots of their products, just a little disappointed on them not including a needed item to make this setup work.
Just my two cents, I'll report back on how well this setup works.

Not sure why they market the Billows that way, there must be a reason. When I bought mine I got the Billows Kit. I've only tried it once, a dry run on the 14 WSM though I bought it to do overnight cooks on the 18 WSM.
When you finally get it lined out I'm sure you're going to like it.

The Thermoworks customer service woman told me the only kit was the Billows and Signals, for a bunch more money. Bluetooth has been good enough for the last few years, I didn't feel I needed Wifi.

The 12v power adapter came with my Signals to charge/power it. The same one works with billows, it comes with a USB c splitter.

Last edited:
I measured the voltage coming out of the supplied USB type A power-supply and it is 12v DC, not AC.

Now I use a Poyiccot USB C Screw Terminal adapter and can feed it 12VDC, from a battery, a generator, etc.

I 'm using an used/old auxiliary battery out of a Mercedes, hooked-up to a float-charger/conditioner, as the supplied 12V USB power-supply is now dead.

:-) neil

Attachments

• USB C pinout adapter for power.PNG
    USB C pinout adapter for power.PNG
    377.4 KB · Views: 47
  • billows external power 3.jpg
    billows external power 3.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 46
  • billows external power 2.jpg
    billows external power 2.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 46
I bought my Billows at least two years ago. As I recall, it originally required a Signals device, but they changed the firmware in the Smoke X devices to work with Billows. I don't have a Signals - only the Smoke X4. Everything I needed for it to work with the Smoke X was included. It's easy to get confused and think you can make it work with any USB powered cable/plug, but it requires a AC wall jack and a 12 volt wall adapter, meaning it requires 12 volts. And it was included. What is relatively new is the li-Ion battery which is sold separately and eliminates the need for the 12 volt adapter and the extension to a wall jack. This means you can run it anywhere (e.g. middle of nowhere). It's great because it eliminates a lot of cables and makes things very simple. I don't use it often, but it's nice for all night cooks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky