Be Advised

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Well to be honest I don't remember the last time I posted an actual "cooking" thread. I did smoke a couple butts, brisket, and some hamburgers two weekends ago of course the same day I changed out the u-joints on a pto shaft for the bushog, put a new door on the skid steer as the original shattered, put mew blades on the mower, and picked blueberries so needless to say I didn't take a single pic. Blueberries are about down and that's not a terrible thing I'm beyond tired of picking them.
Add to that the stuff I do on the staff side here and I just don't post much anymore.
Ken I was in no way trying to direct this thread at you personally but to a lot of people that just weren't acting like the great members we know them to be.
Sheesh! It took me 2 weeks to get up the energy to trim the Quince bushes by the patio LOL!
I'm afraid I've been guilty. A few years ago a newbie had posted a cook of a LOT of meat and another newbie asked him a question. The guy proceeded to jump all over him for asking such a stupid question (the kind we have all asked before).
Probably scared the guy off for good. I couldn't help calling him out on it. I believe "hubris" was the strongest word I used.
He proceed to berate me and told me I was now on his ignore list (first time I had heard of that).
Well, it ticked me off so much I stayed away for over a year.
I checked back in after I retired and though I may go a week or more without checking in I enjoy the site and have no problem with "non food related" posts. I've made a few myself......
I haven't seen rudeness like that since I've been back.

I for one am happy that the SMF has so many posting areas that are not just bbq or food related.

With todays meat prices its sometimes easier to post other things you do. We all need to save some hard earned $$ on meats.

It will get better.
Bullwhip effect assures you are correct....it will get better. I have been going through a lot of the game meat in the freezers lately.

I know this thread is not going to be popular with some members, groups, cliques so it's a good thing I don't care about being popular. What I do care about is people following the rules of Smoking Meat Forums.
#1 There are no rules that threads must be about or include cooking we have sections that are clearly not cooking related and many threads that are not cooking related. I recently posted a thread about blueberries, Al posted one about putting up a gazebo, Rick posted one about a bourbon distillery tour, John posted one about fishing, and there have been a bunch more that were not "cooking" related and we haven't gotten all the non-cooking related bs comments another member has been getting.
#2 If you decide you don't like another member's threads or posts you have a couple choices either don't click on them or put them on ignore those are your choices. Attacking the member or giving them bad advice is not an option and staff is tired of seeing it. Also complaining about a member lashing out after being attacked multiple times isn't going to get you very far either. Come on either try to help people or ignore them if they are breaking SMF rules report them but enough of the bickering. Also remember back to when you were a new member more than likely your posting was not perfect. All members should know better and OTBS members are to be the best of the best and held to an even higher standard think about it.
I am leaving this thread open for now but if you really want to discuss this it would probably be better to PM me than to make this thread get locked.

I must have missed the complaints against particular posts.
I hope people aren't getting sick of my Famous "Bear Stories".
Most Bear Stories have Food involved.

Bear
We love your posts Bear :<)....

Social media is tough now a days. IMHO there are two issues.... keeping politics and religion and RL controversial stuff outta the group... and people getting butt hurt over everything. I think the mods and members for the most part do ok. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes though. Ya might be mad at someone or something initially but like in the grown-up world after an initial reaction you just got to chalk it up to Sierra Hotel and move on lol.

Reactions: bigfurmn
Was told when I was a kid...sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me... pretty much still holds true for me today. Not much of one for BS but if I speak my mind and offend anyone I'm man enough to apologize.

Ryan

don't know if its stress, hard times,, end times ect.
seems people are edgy [and live stock too]
was out in the yard yesterday and a fight broke out in the closest pen to the house
dirt flying pigs screaming.
had to go break it up before one of them got hurt
very unusual for this breed to fight like this except the boars over territory [and that's rare]

Mike

was out in the yard yesterday and a fight broke out in the closest pen to the house
very unusual for this breed to fight like this except the boars over territory [and that's rare]

Mike
Seems to be so much anger these days. If it's hitting animals too, maybe there's something in the air.....

Mike
What variety of pigs?

Don't want the bacon bruised!
Could be the heat and humidity. After 4 days of cleaning out grain bins this week I wasn't any too happy this afternoon. Gets to be almighty warm inside a steel bin when it's 90 degrees and humid.

Ryan

Don't want the bacon bruised!
Could be the heat and humidity. After 4 days of cleaning out grain bins this week I wasn't any too happy this afternoon. Gets to be almighty warm inside a steel bin when it's 90 degrees and humid.

Ryan

Reminds me of the late 80s when I was building the two bedrooms upstairs in our house. When we moved in the upstairs was basically two windows, rafters, joists and blown insulation. I was up there in July laying the 3/4" plywood down for the flooring. Between the heat, humidity, sweat, and liquid nails I came down looking like a tarred and feathered chicken. My parents, wife and kids were laughing their butts off. Me not so much until later in the day.

Chris

Reminds me of the late 80s when I was building the two bedrooms upstairs in our house. When we moved in the upstairs was basically two windows, rafters, joists and blown insulation. I was up there in July laying the 3/4" plywood down for the flooring. Between the heat, humidity, sweat, and liquid nails I came down looking like a tarred and feathered chicken. My parents, wife and kids were laughing their butts off. Me not so much until later in the day.

Chris
Add in some corn dust and chaff and dust from soybeans with drips of sweat...look like a striped gopher! :emoji_laughing:

Ryan

Just got back from recording concerts and festivals in Europe for 3 weeks and missing bbq and the site. A $200 tri to my Costco business center for pork bellies, chicken and ribs and reading about bbq on here has be grounded back home.

Reactions: Marknmd
Well I missed this one as I have been moving and I apologize to everyone for not being present. That being said this site is one GIANT family. Families fight. Sometimes families don't like each other. Sometimes they do. Sometimes people have bad days. Sometimes people interpret something one way that was meant another.

In the end we all are here because we have a love of BBQ and this site has let us share other aspects of our lives with one and another.

If something is concerning you flag it or contact a staff member. TX will tell you that weather or not I agree with you or not ill listen and try to be as fair as I can be and I was be very blunt and to the point. I know Jerry and other staff members will be as well.

Carry on and let the BBQ be well used this wonderful weekend.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky