1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

BD's Pre Holiday Smoked Turkey. A Foamheart Request

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by bdskelly, Oct 19, 2014.

1. PurpleSunday

PurpleSunday Newbie

I had to create an account to say thank you. I was intimidated smoking my first bird, but I stumbled across this post and right away felt more confident since this thread keeps getting bumped each year. I gambled and went "all in" without a practice run, but it all worked out and turned out delicious. Everybody was surprised when I told them I put fruit in the cavity. I really like your tip on how to slice it. I wasn't wild about the idea of creole flavors, so I found a small business that makes their own Italian Herb Olive Oil and injected that instead. I used their dry herbs & spices (that are infused in the olive oil) in the cavity and outside. Like a lot of the other posts here, mine came out a little dark. Maybe it's because I used cherry wood? You said color will get better with practice, but what do we need to do to fix that? I also struggled with where to insert the thermometer, and unfortunately lost some of the juices by moving it around trying to find the right spot. (But I at least caught all the fat & juices in a drip pan and used it to make a superb gravy.) My first few tries were showing at or near 165 degrees in the breast just a few hours after starting my 20# bird. Any tips on what I was doing wrong? I later found some videos online that showed to insert it in the thigh muscle and cook it to 180 degrees. That reading looked a little more accurate. I might've cooked it just a little longer than necessary, but still not too shabby for my first try.

Attached Files:

2. mikenilson

mikenilson Newbie

Here are my results! It took 10 hours to reach 165. I did have to play around with the location of the temperature probe. I also used a pop up inserted in the breast just for good measure. It was voted "Best Turkey Ever" by my 18 family members.
    Before:
    20171123_063217.jpg
    After:
    20171123_172317.jpg

3. bdskelly

bdskelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

So sorry for the late reply. Cherry wood will indeed make a darker color on your bird. Many like the mahogany color.
    If the breast temp was showing 165 after a few hours I’d guess you had the prob in a bit too deep and it was registering the temp of the cavity which will be higher. Congratulations on a great smoke! Brian

4. bdskelly

Awesome bird a Mike. I’d do another for Christmas!

5. bdskelly

I’d like a slice. Well do my friend

6. bdskelly

Nice bird Chad.

7. Hennessy

Hennessy Newbie

Very nice thread! Curious...what kind of smoker did you use? Sorry if you mentioned it but I don’t recall seeing it listed. Thanks.

8. bdskelly

Thank you sir. I used my Masterbuilt electric for this smoke.
    Thanks for the kind words
    B

9. bdskelly

By request... A holiday bump for this one. Enjoy! B

10. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

WHOA !!! Late to the party AGAIN !!! One more thread to prove you aren't just one more pretty face my friend...
    That is good...
    Nice doooo on the yard bird... Did you clean the walkway yet ????
    Me thinks I will try your recipe.... Thanks for the thread.....

bdskelly likes this.
  11. bdskelly

It’s an old post brother Dave. But so many turkey questions this time of year A bump was requested. Hope your doing great! B

12. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Well, kee rap... just goes to show how SLOOOOW I am and how much senility is setting in... Well, It a beaut anywho...

bdskelly likes this.
  13. bdskelly

I feel your pain brother. Getting old is not for wussy’s B

14. Just now seeing this thread on the bump. Well done sir, awesome yard bird. And kudos for the superb instructional thread-looks as though it has helped a lot of people. Good read through, I liked it.