BD's Pre Holiday Smoked Turkey. A Foamheart Request

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I had to create an account to say thank you. I was intimidated smoking my first bird, but I stumbled across this post and right away felt more confident since this thread keeps getting bumped each year. I gambled and went "all in" without a practice run, but it all worked out and turned out delicious. Everybody was surprised when I told them I put fruit in the cavity. I really like your tip on how to slice it. I wasn't wild about the idea of creole flavors, so I found a small business that makes their own Italian Herb Olive Oil and injected that instead. I used their dry herbs & spices (that are infused in the olive oil) in the cavity and outside. Like a lot of the other posts here, mine came out a little dark. Maybe it's because I used cherry wood? You said color will get better with practice, but what do we need to do to fix that? I also struggled with where to insert the thermometer, and unfortunately lost some of the juices by moving it around trying to find the right spot. (But I at least caught all the fat & juices in a drip pan and used it to make a superb gravy.) My first few tries were showing at or near 165 degrees in the breast just a few hours after starting my 20# bird. Any tips on what I was doing wrong? I later found some videos online that showed to insert it in the thigh muscle and cook it to 180 degrees. That reading looked a little more accurate. I might've cooked it just a little longer than necessary, but still not too shabby for my first try.

Attachments

• Turkey 2.jpg
    Turkey 2.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 28
Here are my results! It took 10 hours to reach 165. I did have to play around with the location of the temperature probe. I also used a pop up inserted in the breast just for good measure. It was voted "Best Turkey Ever" by my 18 family members.
Before:
20171123_063217.jpg

After:
20171123_172317.jpg

I had to create an account to say thank you. I was intimidated smoking my first bird, but I stumbled across this post and right away felt more confident since this thread keeps getting bumped each year. I gambled and went "all in" without a practice run, but it all worked out and turned out delicious. Everybody was surprised when I told them I put fruit in the cavity. I really like your tip on how to slice it. I wasn't wild about the idea of creole flavors, so I found a small business that makes their own Italian Herb Olive Oil and injected that instead. I used their dry herbs & spices (that are infused in the olive oil) in the cavity and outside. Like a lot of the other posts here, mine came out a little dark. Maybe it's because I used cherry wood? You said color will get better with practice, but what do we need to do to fix that? I also struggled with where to insert the thermometer, and unfortunately lost some of the juices by moving it around trying to find the right spot. (But I at least caught all the fat & juices in a drip pan and used it to make a superb gravy.) My first few tries were showing at or near 165 degrees in the breast just a few hours after starting my 20# bird. Any tips on what I was doing wrong? I later found some videos online that showed to insert it in the thigh muscle and cook it to 180 degrees. That reading looked a little more accurate. I might've cooked it just a little longer than necessary, but still not too shabby for my first try.

So sorry for the late reply. Cherry wood will indeed make a darker color on your bird. Many like the mahogany color.
If the breast temp was showing 165 after a few hours I’d guess you had the prob in a bit too deep and it was registering the temp of the cavity which will be higher. Congratulations on a great smoke! Brian

Here are my results! It took 10 hours to reach 165. I did have to play around with the location of the temperature probe. I also used a pop up inserted in the breast just for good measure. It was voted "Best Turkey Ever" by my 18 family members.
Before:
View attachment 345582
After:
View attachment 345583
Awesome bird a Mike. I’d do another for Christmas!

Very nice thread! Curious...what kind of smoker did you use? Sorry if you mentioned it but I don’t recall seeing it listed. Thanks.

WHOA !!! Late to the party AGAIN !!! One more thread to prove you aren't just one more pretty face my friend...
That is good...
Nice doooo on the yard bird... Did you clean the walkway yet ????
Me thinks I will try your recipe.... Thanks for the thread.....

Reactions: bdskelly
WHOA !!! Late to the party AGAIN !!! One more thread to prove you aren't just one more pretty face my friend...
That is good...
Nice doooo on the yard bird... Did you clean the walkway yet ????
Me thinks I will try your recipe.... Thanks for the thread.....
It’s an old post brother Dave. But so many turkey questions this time of year A bump was requested. Hope your doing great! B

Just now seeing this thread on the bump. Well done sir, awesome yard bird. And kudos for the superb instructional thread-looks as though it has helped a lot of people. Good read through, I liked it.

I usually plan on pulling when the breast is around 160 letting it come up the last 5 while it rests. Bad plan?

So glad I stumbled upon this post. Publix young turkey's were $0.49/lb this week and I couldn't resist buying a 12.5 lb one for $6.50 with the full intention of smoking a turkey for the 1st time as a trial run. Of course I came here for guidance and decided to follow this post. Getting ready to carve it after sitting under foil for an hour, but dang it smells delicious! Here's some pictures from the beginning, middle, and end:

pq3RH9e.jpg

1asrhFb.jpg

Bi1qt3N.jpg

So glad I stumbled upon this post. Publix young turkey's were $0.49/lb this week and I couldn't resist buying a 12.5 lb one for $6.50 with the full intention of smoking a turkey for the 1st time as a trial run. Of course I came here for guidance and decided to follow this post. Getting ready to carve it after sitting under foil for an hour, but dang it smells delicious! Here's some pictures from the beginning, middle, and end:

pq3RH9e.jpg

1asrhFb.jpg

Bi1qt3N.jpg
Awesome bird Captain. It looks delicious. Like! Brian

Reactions: captainbuttfloss
Awesome bird Captain. It looks delicious. Like! Brian

Thank you, and thank you for the original post. After eating a plate tonight I love it! Never had a smoked turkey before this so of course I loved that factor, and the slight hint of citrus mixed in with it was the cherry on top. Wife loved it as well so thank you again!

XMdHbhF.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, and thank you for the original post. After eating a plate tonight I love it! Never had a smoked turkey before this so of course I loved that factor, and the slight hint of citrus mixed in with it was the cherry on top. Wife loved it as well so thank you again!

XMdHbhF.jpg
Happy to help my friend. Do it again! B

Reactions: captainbuttfloss
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky