BCBBBBCTBLT with Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Fine looking sandwich there! The only thing I would add to that is a tossed egg, some spicey mustard and a tad of cheese. Great looking grub...!
 Sure.. not hard to do. A little TQ and some smoke and here's what you can do..

01559d28_002.jpg

f6336c78_006.jpg

89341806_007.jpg

They are more like snacks instead of bacon.. Perhaps if you packed them together with some sort of binder, and then slaced them, you could make bacon. Hell, there's turkey bacon and they don't have bellies or butts..

Thank You very much Gary, Mark, Tracey, Brian, Paul & Meateater for the really nice comments.

I'm glad you liked it,

Bear

P4B,

You actually did it! Cured & Smoked Dove Breasts---Gotta be awesome!

Were they pink inside when done?  MMMmmmmmm.........

Bear

I want to try the Charcuterie recipie for "Duck Prociutto" soooo bad, I just can't seem to find a good source for good fresh duck breast. Those dove breasts look AMAZING, great stuff Pit4Brains!!  I love the taste of dove, but always fear for my teeth if I hit a bit of shot. How do you handle cooking/smoking/getting around the shot? Or were they farmed dove?

-Princess
P4B,

You actually did it! Cured & Smoked Dove Breasts---Gotta be awesome!

Were they pink inside when done?  MMMmmmmmm.........

Bear

Were they pink inside when done?
 They were dark all the way through, moist and tender like cured meat should be and the gamey taste was mellowed out quite a bit. I took some to drill today and even the non game eaters liked them..
 Those dove breasts look AMAZING, great stuff Pit4Brains!!  I love the taste of dove, but always fear for my teeth if I hit a bit of shot. How do you handle cooking/smoking/getting around the shot?
 Thanx! I will definately be doing this again. I have ten more in the fridge from yesterday and there's a few more days left to hunt. I'll post up a step-by-step in the wild game section. I use a 16 gauge with 8 shot so I don't find much shot in the breasts. Most of my birds come down crippled and have to be dispatched by hand. Luckily I have a dog that can get 'em snatched up before they can get away..

Mrs. Bear uses our big tomatoes, by putting a big slice in her sammie.

I like to use our cherry tomatoes, by alternating Bite of Sammie, pop a cherry tomato, bite of sammie, etc, etc.....
Quite a sandwich.  We really like good tomatoes, and detest the typical "Florida tube tomatoes" that are bred and grown for travel ability and not flavor.  Unfortunately, we cannot grow them here because of a lot of shade.  The grocery stores have what they call vine ripened tomatoes, but they are not nearly as good as a home grown variety.

We have found *one* store bought tomato that has flavor we like.  It is the Campari variety and is packaged by Sun Nurseries out of Canada (but sometimes grown in Mexico).  These tomatoes are almost the size of  a golf ball.  Bigger than those cherry tomatoes you showed, but not big enough for big full slices on a sandwich.  But they do have a nice flavor.   We get them at our local BJs.  Costco also carries them.  Even the grocery stores are starting to carry them, but at twice the price.

I want to try the Charcuterie recipie for "Duck Prociutto" soooo bad, I just can't seem to find a good source for good fresh duck breast. Those dove breasts look AMAZING, great stuff Pit4Brains!!  I love the taste of dove, but always fear for my teeth if I hit a bit of shot. How do you handle cooking/smoking/getting around the shot? Or were they farmed dove?

-Princess

Princess, Dove breasts are so small, when you see the little hole in a breast, and it doesn't go out the other side, you should go in after it with a fillet knife & a tweezers, because often times the BB takes hair (feathers or some other crap) into the meat with it. No entry holes---No BBs.

Bear

Dark all the way through? How did you cure them---Time--amount of cure. Your dove breasts look awesome, but everything I cure becomes pink inside, even my Turkey Breasts, as can be seen in the original BLT part of this thread. 

Bear
 They were dark all the way through, moist and tender like cured meat should be and the gamey taste was mellowed out quite a bit. I took some to drill today and even the non game eaters liked them..

Last edited:
Quite a sandwich.  We really like good tomatoes, and detest the typical "Florida tube tomatoes" that are bred and grown for travel ability and not flavor.  Unfortunately, we cannot grow them here because of a lot of shade.  The grocery stores have what they call vine ripened tomatoes, but they are not nearly as good as a home grown variety.

We have found *one* store bought tomato that has flavor we like.  It is the Campari variety and is packaged by Sun Nurseries out of Canada (but sometimes grown in Mexico).  These tomatoes are almost the size of  a golf ball.  Bigger than those cherry tomatoes you showed, but not big enough for big full slices on a sandwich.  But they do have a nice flavor.   We get them at our local BJs.  Costco also carries them.  Even the grocery stores are starting to carry them, but at twice the price.
Thanks Dale,

Our tomatoes are awesome, and we never eat BLTs any other time of year, because store  bought tomatoes suck, but I will have to look at BJs for those tomatoes.

Oh NO!!!!  BLTs all year around????

Bear

I had to sit here and think about it.... I have never personally cleaned a shot bird. I have eaten them after my mom cleaned them. I have my share of countless farmed birds & rabbits (Oh and fish. Enough fish for a lifetime.) The only "shot" thing I have cleaned is deer. If I am ever fortunate enough to get my hands on my own dove, I will have to remember this advice! :)

Cheers!

-Princess
Princess, Dove breasts are so small, when you see the little hole in a breast, and it doesn't go out the other side, you should go in after it with a fillet knife & a tweezers, because often times the BB takes hair (feathers or some other crap) into the meat with it. No entry holes---No BBs.

Bear

I will second those particular Campari tomatoes. They are a little pricey and come shipped in one of those clear thin plastic clamshells. In wintertime tho, they are the only things worth eating. We are getting the last funky artisan tomatoes out of my mom's garden now. They really do all taste just a bit different from one another. Seems like this year was not a good one for tomatoes here. Too hot maybe? Too much rain at wierd times? ::shrug:: There just wasn't much extra for canning, making juice, salsa, etc...
Thanks Dale,

Our tomatoes are awesome, and we never eat BLTs any other time of year, because store  bought tomatoes suck, but I will have to look at BJs for those tomatoes.

Oh NO!!!!  BLTs all year around????

Bear

I had to sit here and think about it.... I have never personally cleaned a shot bird. I have eaten them after my mom cleaned them. I have my share of countless farmed birds & rabbits (Oh and fish. Enough fish for a lifetime.) The only "shot" thing I have cleaned is deer. If I am ever fortunate enough to get my hands on my own dove, I will have to remember this advice! :)

Cheers!

-Princess

Yup, When you shoot a deer. the slug could hit a bone (often does). Then you could have splintered bone all over the place, and sometimes pieces of the slug could separate and fly around, but with shotgun BBs, all you have to do is "follow the hole". Not a very long hunt in a little dove breast.

Bear,

Another fine post!!

How'd you like the "Turkey Bacon"?  Gonna have to try this one next.

Todd

Bear,

Another fine post!!

How'd you like the "Turkey Bacon"?  Gonna have to try this one next.

Todd
Thanks Todd,

It is real good. I would have to say it tastes about halfway between Canadian Bacon and a very smoky regular smoked turkey.

It's not all gone yet. I'm nursing it to make it last!

Bear

Now that is what I would term a real bacon. Your BLT sandwiches look spectacular and I bet they tasted even better!  Adding Canadian bacon in combination with everything else extra meaty that's a really nice touch.

Bear my friend, now that's what I like about you, good simple, easy  to understand directions, I think I told you that once before.  What a (as we say here in the Mt's. of the Appalachians) a fine samich, I got hungry just watching you put it together!  I like Kraft Mayo better than MW and I like Mrs. Bear like a nice big slice of tomato on my samich but other than that, I would not change a thing.  I did see something on there that I have not seen before but have read about and heard of.....BBB..... I will be checking out the link you gave us as soon as I get done typing this.  Hope your doing well, I'll keep in touch!  No better samich could be found in the finest restaurant in the whole world Bear, take care and may all your smokes be great!!!

Barry

aka VirginiaSmokeSignial
biggrin.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky