"BCB" Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtworldmike

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 25, 2009
roaming shores, ohio
  BCB   "Bearcarver's Bacon"

I did my first  BCB a few months ago on a small belly and it turned out great and also gave me the confidence to do more. I bought 4 bellies and was going to do all 4 ,but I ran out of bags. So I did 2 and froze two.

I did one regular and one peppered. Did the 9 day BCB cure with TQ and brown sugar. I varied the BCB step by step a little. After I  rinsed, soaked and dried the bellies, I then gave them another coating of brown sugar,peppered one and put them back in the fridge for one more day.(had other things to do)  The fry test before soaking tasted pretty good. Maybe just a tad salty??? but I love salty bacon,family doesn't so I gave them a 45 min soak.

This time around I used my 550 watt "hot-wired hot plate" in the GOSM instead of the propane burner. It worked pretty good. Smoked for 7 hrs. with apple wood chunks. Temps in the smoker averaged right around 100 and went to 125 at the end and produced nice smoke.

Thanks for looking and hope you enjoy.

My handy dandy hot plate

3e17a3c7_IMG_0350.jpg

0e56b6d5_IMG_0352.jpg

one lil piggy peppered and ready to go in.

cbdd3be3_3-13-11168.jpg

One lil piggy without

04a98810_3-13-11166.jpg

Got smoke and in they go

7822c214_IMG_0353.jpg

Out after 7 hrs. then into the fridge and will slice tomorrow

55570bcd_IMG_0355.jpg

42426bc0_IMG_0356.jpg

All in all, I am pretty happy  with this smoke so far. I didn't get electrocuted and didn't burn the house down. Life is good.

Thanks to Bearcarver, I will never be outa bacon again!  

Slicing pics tomorrow.

Thanks guys. Now here's the rest of the story. I put them in the freezer to stiffen up and they sliced like butta. 

First slab sliced

1cfb91cf_IMG_0361.jpg

Slicing and frying. Had to have some. We ate 3 lbs. already.

4189693d_IMG_0362.jpg

all bagged and ready for the freezer. Left out another pound for tomorrow. LOL

cfc4622a_IMG_0365.jpg

Mike!

This is the first I saw this thread!  That Bacon looks GREAT !

Thanks for showing, and I'm real glad it worked good for you !

I'm starting to worry though, one day there's gonna be a knock at my door, and it will be a mob of butchers in a bad mood!!!!

Bear

Mike!

I'm starting to worry though, one day there's gonna be a knock at my door, and it will be a mob of butchers in a bad mood!!!!

Bear
Thanks Bear

Ya, it turned out waaaay better than my expectations. Your "BCB" step by step is basically fool-proof.
kewl.gif

Mike!

Bear
LMAO....yeah, with beartraps, pitchforks and flaming torches

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky