BBQXperiment - pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bhambrewer

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Birmingham, Alabama
When a local grocery store sells bone in pork butt for 99c/lb, it's a good excuse to play around a bit, right?

So, the theory is: the meat is going to absorb all the wood flavour in the first 2 to 4 hours. At that point mostly you're wrapping until final internal temperature. Does it make a difference if, instead of wrapping, you finish it off in the oven?

So I brined the pork overnight with a dry brine of only 3 tsp kosher salt for a just under 6lb pork butt. Pulled it out this morning and smeared all over with basic yellow mustard. Smoked over Cowboy lump charcoal with pecan wood chunks for about 3 hours. Internal temp at this point was around 129f.

Pulled out, put in a pan and wrapped with heavy duty aluminium foil. Into the oven at 250f to final internal temp of 200f. How did it turn out?

IMG_20200929_183035.jpg

IMG_20200929_183931.jpg

well... success! Melt in the mouth tender, nice smoke ring, delicious.

I served it with Kentucky style black BBQ sauce. It's definitely different but delicious. But that's a post for another day ;)

Mighty fine looking PP.

Point for sure
Chris

When a local grocery store sells bone in pork butt for 99c/lb, it's a good excuse to play around a bit, right?

So, the theory is: the meat is going to absorb all the wood flavour in the first 2 to 4 hours. At that point mostly you're wrapping until final internal temperature. Does it make a difference if, instead of wrapping, you finish it off in the oven?

So I brined the pork overnight with a dry brine of only 3 tsp kosher salt for a just under 6lb pork butt. Pulled it out this morning and smeared all over with basic yellow mustard. Smoked over Cowboy lump charcoal with pecan wood chunks for about 3 hours. Internal temp at this point was around 129f.

Pulled out, put in a pan and wrapped with heavy duty aluminium foil. Into the oven at 250f to final internal temp of 200f. How did it turn out?

View attachment 465124

View attachment 465125

well... success! Melt in the mouth tender, nice smoke ring, delicious.

I served it with Kentucky style black BBQ sauce. It's definitely different but delicious. But that's a post for another day ;)
Looks great. How did it compare to one done on the smoker the whole time?

Looks great. How did it compare to one done on the smoker the whole time?

I have done pulled pork with an electric smoker, eaten plenty of Jim N Nicks, and had other people's pulled pork. I can honestly say I ate thirds of this and only didn't have fourths because I was afraid I'd barf from over eating and waste all that delicious pulled pork 🤣

Definitely doing it again.

I forgot to add 2 things:

1. If folks are interested I can post the recipe to the Kentucky black BBQ sauce.
2. The bone slid out of the joint like it was greased. There was a little meat stuck on the far end, an amount no more than a 1c coin. I take that as a win.

Reactions: Just4SmokinGrillin
Btu's is Btu's as Harry Soo would say. Looks good man.

I did the same with my first brisket. Once you've wrapped it, there's no more chance to uptake flavour from the charcoal or wood, so why not just use BTUs? I have proven to myself that I can get delicious results from the combo method, and that allows me to concentrate the charcoal and wood where it does most use, and not just use them for BTUs.

Yeah, post it up. I am always looking for new sauces to try.
posted it here

That is a good looking PP and the sauce sounds mighty tasty. May need to make the Kentucky Black BBQ Sauce next time I smoke a pork butt.

Have you used the sauce for any other types of meats besides mutton?

That is a good looking PP and the sauce sounds mighty tasty. May need to make the Kentucky Black BBQ Sauce next time I smoke a pork butt.

Have you used the sauce for any other types of meats besides mutton?
I read about it, and this was the first time I have had it.

I will try it with lamb and report back....

I would be interested getting the recipe for Kentucky black BBQ sauce. I don't post much, but I do use a lot of the ideas and recipes on this site, I just got a Rec Teq 380 Bullseye and love it. I think it's big brother is getting jealous!

I would be interested getting the recipe for Kentucky black BBQ sauce. I don't post much, but I do use a lot of the ideas and recipes on this site, I just got a Rec Teq 380 Bullseye and love it. I think it's big brother is getting jealous!

I've posted the recipe on the sauces section here, link a little bit up thread from here :)

Reactions: bbqssteve
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky