Batch of deer jerky and summer sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zzerru

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 14, 2007
Ann Arbor
First batch finished curing after 24hr and time to get it drying/smoking. I'm doing this batch with hickory. I made this batch a bit sweet and hot by adding in some sugar/maple syrup and hot sauce instead of Worcestershire.

8u9u6y4u.jpg

curing

4yre8ara.jpg

Loaded onto racks

7ugydeve.jpg

In the smoker

First batch is done and out of the smoker. Not as much maple flavor as I wanted but it has the right amount of heat.

9uty6aju.jpg

avaqu8y3.jpg

Summer sausage is next up. Just over 20lbs of summer sausage ready to go in the smoker tomorrow AM.

qegave3u.jpg

Prepped and ready to go.

9e6ube9u.jpg

ura2aty5.jpg

Will post up end product after it finishes smoking tomorrow.

Last edited:
They both look great! The jerky looks nice and soft, just the way I like it. Did you use a cure or just brine the jerky?

They both look great! The jerky looks nice and soft, just the way I like it. Did you use a cure or just brine the jerky?

I cured it with insta cure no. 1. When I started making jerky 6-7 years ago, I started with Kutas' recipe for the basis and have just modified it according to the flavor I wanted each time.

Took around 27 hours to get the sausage finished due to cold temps outside, so I was doing it in batches. Slightly sweet from hickory/cherry blend and hard cider in the water pan. Very tasty!

ajezu5y2.jpg

y8y2equ6.jpg

zuvu8eqe.jpg

u6ypa2e3.jpg

4ahuzugu.jpg

Thanks for watching.

I use the recipe from Kutas. I once tried a "German Sausage" kit from Cabelas when i was first staring out. It was so bland i've never tried using a kit again. Every time my jar of seasoning blend gets low i refill it after making sausage and that helps me save time/hassle/errors because i dont have to measure each ingredient.

I use the recipe from Kutas. I once tried a "German Sausage" kit from Cabelas when i was first staring out. It was so bland i've never tried using a kit again. Every time my jar of seasoning blend gets low i refill it after making sausage and that helps me save time/hassle/errors because i dont have to measure each ingredient.
Is that the Smoked Venison Summer Sausage recipe?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky