Batch of bacon for the summer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zzerru

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 14, 2007
Ann Arbor
I usually only make bacon once a year around the holidays to give to family and friends as gifts, but this summer folks who ran out early raises such a hew and cry that I broke down and made another batch. Just did 30lbs (25 after trimming) to tide them over.

442a7333-ea72-f7ad.jpg

Got the needed items laid out for seasoning/curing. Just about out of the grade B maple syrup and if anyone knows a good online source, please let me know (see a lot when I search, but no clue as to quality)!

442a7333-eaff-3619.jpg

These two slices are about 2 inches thick and 3-4 wide. Cut these to use in making lardons.

442a7333-eb45-4019.jpg

Next two customers waiting for their turn.

442a7333-eb78-e742.jpg

Slab in the cure.

442a7333-eb96-066a.jpg

Done up and going into the garage fridge to wait it out for 7-10 days, getting turned every 2 days.

I'll update when the curing is done. Thanks for watching.

ZZ, evening... I am watching..... 
popcorn.gif
 ...   I have a case of bellies being delivered tomorrow....  What are "lardons"...  Dave 

Nice! I should have gotten a case and justified a bigger fridge to the wife to boot :)

Lardons are sticks of cured belly about 3/8-1/2" thick/wide about as long as matchsticks. Use'em in a lot of veggie dishes, casseroles and sandwiches. When you fry them up they get just the right balance between chewy and crispy.

Think they get the name from being used for larding lean roasts/cuts of meat.

Smoked the bacon last night for 8 hours at 150 degrees with hickory to an internal temp of 125. Not really sure why but this time, the bacon didn't take a strong smoke color/smell. The smoke smell is light even after resting overnight in the fridge.

442a7333-4d23-14a3.jpg

The trays out of the smoke

442a7333-4d3a-77f1.jpg

3 of the 5 trays

442a7333-4d52-60bf.jpg

Closer shot of one slab

I've made this same recipe at 30-50lbs each time and have never had this result in the smoking process. I'll fry some up a little later and see how it tastes.

Thoughts on smoke issue?

Looks great from here too.  Man how lucky you guys are to be able to get a gallon of real maple - out here I would have to take out a 2nd on my house for that much 
biggrin.gif

I'd like to try maple sugar just to see if I get the same taste/less mess.

I split the order with some friends to get the cost down to about $7 a pound by ordering ten pounds. They reconstitute it back to syrup and love it. The tell me it's cheaper than buying fresh and almost as good. I use about a 1/2 Tbs per pound with the other spices for a dry cure for BBB or bellies. 

That's some great looking bacon Z! If you don't mind me asking where did you get those pork bellies? I'm going to be trying some bacon sooner or later and I'm exploring my options.

I got them at Hillers in Ann Arbor. I trust the meat there, even if it costs a bit more.

"Got the needed items laid out for seasoning/curing. Just about out of the grade B maple syrup and if anyone knows a good online source, please let me know (see a lot when I search, but no clue as to quality)!"

zzerru - Since you're in Ann Arbor, check with Zimmerman's to see if they carry Grade B.

Also, there's a Trader Joe's in Ann Arbor, and they may carry Grade B in 12 oz. bottles (The TJ near me does). It's not the greatest, but it's still pretty good, a good step up from Grade A, and convenient if you're in a pinch and running short.

For top quality Grade B, I order from Jed's Maple Products in Westfield, VT. Simply the best I've ever had. http://www.jedsmaple.com/

BLT time.

442a7333-c03f-a703.jpg

Bacon, fried up.

442a7333-c05a-cc52.jpg

Bread w Hellman's mayo.

442a7333-c07a-e576.jpg

Building the sandwich.

442a7333-c095-def7.jpg

Omg.

442a7333-c0c4-7cc5.jpg

FTW!

You said it didn't look like they picked up as much smoke. Was there any difference in the taste?

It was a lighter hickory taste, but that didn't amplify the maple flavor as I had predicted it would. It's still good of course but, just different.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky