Basil cuttings, find a good plant and free forever

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This could be the answer if you're says jalapeños work. Never even thought of it. Thanks dude.
I have the same problem here . Gets so damn hot starting about July that nothing produces . Then it cools off late in the season and the peppers go crazy , but not enough warm weather left . I had a strong Jalapeno plant last year , so I saved some seeds and put some in the Aero garden . Wasn't sure what to expect , but it's producing good . The plants on the front right and back left are Carolina Reapers grown from seeds I got from Richie . I've picked 4 jalapenos so far and there's about 10 hanging on the plant .
1651062312047.jpeg
I started the seeds 2nd week of January .
1651062911732.jpeg

The seed pods come pre seeded , or you can buy the holder and the sponge to use with your own seeds .

Reactions: Smokensalt and xray
Doc wants to do back surgery on me . I told him no way .
Dad had back surgery last year..best decision he ever made. He feels 15 years younger and he is in his mid 70's. But Doc did say that he was the perfect candidate for the surgery. He has no problems walking in the turkey woods this spring. Killed a bird this season-first one he has called up and killed in years and he is excited about it.

Reactions: Smokensalt
I grow basil every year on my deck using it throughout the summer…but I would like to enjoy it year round.

I have the same problem here . Gets so damn hot starting about July that nothing produces . Then it cools off late in the season and the peppers go crazy , but not enough warm weather left . I had a strong Jalapeno plant last year , so I saved some seeds and put some in the Aero garden . Wasn't sure what to expect , but it's producing good . The plants on the front right and back left are Carolina Reapers grown from seeds I got from Richie . I've picked 4 jalapenos so far and there's about 10 hanging on the plant .
View attachment 630341
I started the seeds 2nd week of January .
View attachment 630346
The seed pods come pre seeded , or you can buy the holder and the sponge to use with your own seeds .

How do you like the aerogarden Rich? I’ve been trying to convince my wife to get one when the pandemic started, but she thinks I’ll use it once and put it away like a novelty gadget. It would be nice to enjoy some fresh stuff all winter and looking at yours, it seems to work great.

How do you like the aerogarden Rich?
We love 'em . I made pasta sauce last night . Just walk in the other room and pick a couple basil leaves . I use the Thyme with beef and chicken , and the Thai basil is great in sausage . I dry the Thai basil first . My son uses the fresh dill to , make ranch dressing . They produce way more than I can use fresh . I bought some containers and have been drying it out , but even that is getting to be more than I'll use . We have the 6 hole , but you don't need to use them all like we did . It was hard at first to get used to the light being on in the beginning . 15 hour cycle . Be worth a 3 hole model just to have basil , thyme and cilantro through the winter .

Reactions: xray
I have them in my laundry room . I bought one for my kids to share , then decided to get them each one . Then it turned out they bought me one . Lol . 6 holes each . Not that big , but they really produce . I've been drying dill for months , and picking Jalapenos and grape tomatoes for at least 6 weeks .
View attachment 630297
I have an aero garden as well. Do you leave the jalapenos and tomatoes in the areogarden or do you transplant these out? I started some of my tomatoes in the garden but they got really big so i transplanted out in my garden. It would be nice to have some in the aero garden the entire time

Do you leave the jalapenos and tomatoes in the areogarden or do you transplant these out?
I transplanted some of the stuff . I had Reapers in with the Jalapenos that had to go outside . The Aero garden wouldn't support them .
Took this just now . This is 2 weeks into being 1 year in the Aero garden . Pretty ratty and about done , but it keeps setting flowers and peppers . I picked 4 last week and there's another 3 or 4 on there .
1675868769446.jpeg

I transplanted some of the stuff . I had Reapers in with the Jalapenos that had to go outside . The Aero garden wouldn't support them .
Took this just now . This is 2 weeks into being 1 year in the Aero garden . Pretty ratty and about done , but it keeps setting flowers and peppers . I picked 4 last week and there's another 3 or 4 on there .
View attachment 657250
Rich what is the trick to keeping the herbs at a reasonable, sustainable height? Is there a special place or method to trim? What do you use to dry them for storage?

View attachment 657250
did you prune the height, or are these a varity that is small?

Three years ago I spread some basil seed in my garden beside my tomato plants. Got far far more basil than wife and I can use and most of it went to seed . Since then I've had enough fresh basil to supply the entire neighborhood.

Same with cilantro, I just have to avoid the hot summer, it does much better in cooler weather. In fact, it grows all winter here in OKC.

I get both coming up in volunteer in large amounts.

Rich what is the trick to keeping the herbs at a reasonable, sustainable height? Is there a special place or method to trim? What do you use to dry them for storage?
One thing I need to get used to is just cutting them and tossing it if I can't use it . I hate to waste stuff , but seems like if you let the basil flower it lowers the quality of the plant .
Cliff , if you come down the main stalk from the top of the plant look for a Y intersection that has new leaves sprouting . Cut just above that . I also bought these herb savers . Put some water in the bottom , then put the cuttings in . The Basil will sprout roots and last a week or better . Dill lasts about a week .
1675872819377.jpeg
As far as drying , I was using my 360 air fryer , but now I just spread the stuff out on a paper towel and dry on the counter .

Reactions: clifish
did you prune the height, or are these a varity that is small?
I grew that from seeds I saved from plants I had outside the year before . Just a normal garden center plant . Nothing special . I did cut out some off the branches that were just leaves . I did trim just a bit for height , but only because there were no peppers growing .

One thing I need to get used to is just cutting them and tossing it if I can't use it . I hate to waste stuff , but seems like if you let the basil flower it lowers the quality of the plant .
Cliff , if you come down the main stalk from the top of the plant look for a Y intersection that has new leaves sprouting . Cut just above that . I also bought these herb savers . Put some water in the bottom , then put the cuttings in . The Basil will sprout roots and last a week or better . Dill lasts about a week .
View attachment 657269
As far as drying , I was using my 360 air fryer , but now I just spread the stuff out on a paper towel and dry on the counter .
Thanks Rich, going to be restarting the aero as we have exhausted the current plants...BTW that herb saver kind of looks like a pink Bong...lol

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky