Basic summer sausage recipe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mkmartin0615

Original poster
May 29, 2021
Hello all. I have been cutting over 500 deer a year in my family business we closed down. I would like to dapple in smoking sausage. I would like a basic smoked summer sausage recipe. We sent all of our smoked meat to a company in michigan. Thank you for any input

I ran a search & came up with a bunch.
So just type in “Summer sausage recipe“ in the search box.
It’s the magnifying glass up on the upper right.
Al

Hello all. I have been cutting over 500 deer a year in my family business we closed down. I would like to dapple in smoking sausage. I would like a basic smoked summer sausage recipe. We sent all of our smoked meat to a company in michigan. Thank you for any input
Fermentation? Or ECA?

Hi there and welcome!

Man I'm jealous of all the venison meat you have been able to get!

I don't have a general summer sausage recipe BUT I do all my venison sausage at 80% pure venison meat and 20% fat. Pork back fat for sausage like summer sausage.
Beef fat with anything like pastrami flavor sausage/formed meat.

You can't go wrong with 20% fat and it means you are eating mostly venison and only adding the fat of the pork which is needed for sausage.

I mostly do Franks, Brats, and I would to a Texas Hot Link if I had gotten any deer in the past year and a half but no hunting for me until I fully put the pandemic recovery behind me. Though I may be able to take some ferral pigs soon :)

I hope this info helps some :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky