Basic Brisket Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I want to confirm a few things when I smoke around 10 days later for a a party.

I hope to smoke a 8-10 pound brisket using jeffs rub. Last time I made it, it was very dry and wanted to reconfirm the process.

I remove some fat till near the meat and rub on yellow mustard followed with the dry rub. I then smoke it around 225-240 till internal temps reach 170 and then wrap with some liquid. and continue till internal temps of 205. Then wrap and rest for at least 30 mins.

A few questions I want to confirm. I want to ensure that it can be super juicy.

1:  On jeffs website, it indicated that you can smoke while the brisket is in a pan to collect juices and make it juicier, is this correct or should I only put it in a pan when I wrap it.

2:   Should I inject with some beef stock mixed with some rubs.

Any other recommendation to ensure its juicy when finished?

I want to confirm a few things when I smoke around 10 days later for a a party.

I hope to smoke a 8-10 pound brisket using jeffs rub. Last time I made it, it was very dry and wanted to reconfirm the process.

I remove some fat till near the meat and rub on yellow mustard followed with the dry rub. I then smoke it around 225-240 till internal temps reach 170 and then wrap with some liquid. and continue till internal temps of 205. Then wrap and rest for at least 30 mins.

A few questions I want to confirm. I want to ensure that it can be super juicy.

1:  On jeffs website, it indicated that you can smoke while the brisket is in a pan to collect juices and make it juicier, is this correct or should I only put it in a pan when I wrap it.

2:   Should I inject with some beef stock mixed with some rubs.

Any other recommendation to ensure its juicy when finished?
Your plan sounds good, however if your last one was dry, maybe you should try foiling at 160* this time, instead of 170*. Also if you're going to slice it, you could pull it at 195* instead of 205*. And Yes, like Jeff said, having it in a pan the whole time to collect juices could help keep it moist too.

I never inject, but if you do inject, you then have to treat your Brisket like Ground meat, and get it from 40* IT to 140* IT in no longer than 4 hours.

Hope this helps,

Bear

Your plan sounds good, however if your last one was dry, maybe you should try foiling at 160* this time, instead of 170*. Also if you're going to slice it, you could pull it at 195* instead of 205*. And Yes, like Jeff said, having it in a pan the whole time to collect juices could help keep it moist too.

I never inject, but if you do inject, you then have to treat your Brisket like Ground meat, and get it from 40* IT to 140* IT in no longer than 4 hours.

Hope this helps,

Bear
Hmm, will try that. I only got one other question. Should I actually allow the brisket to rest after reaching the temperature till it drops to 170F and then wrap and rest till eaten? Saw this on TVWBB, but dont really see info about letting the brisket temp to drop before wrapping with towels here.

Hmm, will try that. I only got one other question. Should I actually allow the brisket to rest after reaching the temperature till it drops to 170F and then wrap and rest till eaten? Saw this on TVWBB, but dont really see info about letting the brisket temp to drop before wrapping with towels here.
No don't let it drop before putting it in towels.

After you pull it from the smoker, it will already be wrapped in foil, so let it rest for an hour before slicing it.

If you want to hold it longer, wrap it in towels, and stick it in a dry cooler until you're ready to slice it. It will stay hot for hours.

Bear

I have done the following, and it is a fool proof way of getting a brisket as good as anything out there! I have smoked the last 3 briskets this way and they are amazing! It's very long and drawn out so "bear" with me! (sorry Bear).

Mes 30" electric with MES cold smoker attachment

I start with a 12-14 lb un trimmed brisket (packer grade)

Trim fat to no less than a good 1/4 inch

No rub, here is what I use: 

1/4 cup coarse pepper, 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup rudy's rub ( http://www.rudysbbq.com/store/c-3-rubs.aspx ) mix these 3 in a container and sprinkle it on the brisket ( all sides)

No mustard or oil

Because a 12-13 lb brisket will not fit in a 30" MES, I cut it in half, one portion the flat, one portion the point.

Set MES to 225 F, load water tray with 16 oz coke or dr pepper

Smoke with cherry wood chips in the cold smoker

Load brisket, right after you trim it and apply seasoning 60min per pound of brisket on timer

remove and foil after 8 hours, then return to smoker (no smoke) still at 225.

At the end of 12-13 hours ( 4-5 with foil), remove and place both pieces of foiled brisket in a SMALL good cooler so that the brisket occupies about 1/3 the cooler volume, then cover with thick towels and let stand in cooler for 8 hours, after 8 hours it will be so hot you cannot hold it in your bare hands.

View media item 327757
View media item 327758
View media item 327759
View media item 327760
View media item 327761
View media item 327762
View media item 327763
View media item 327764
View media item 327765

Hmm. Everybody talking about temperature.

Yet, nobody bringing up the pokey test??

If you want to make sure it's tender and real goodness, do whatever of that other stuff. But when it gets upwards of about 185*. probe it with a toothpick, skewer, thermometer every 1/2 hour or so for tenderness. It ought to feel like you're probing a stick of butter been sitting out on the counter not one you just pulled out of the fridge. Probe in more than one spot for an average. And NO you're not going to hurt it poking around on it. 

You don't do the pokey and just pull that joker out by temp and it might be as tough as the sole on my old Texas, drought hardened, Motorsickle boot!!

Hmm. Everybody talking about temperature.

Yet, nobody bringing up the pokey test??

If you want to make sure it's tender and real goodness, do whatever of that other stuff. But when it gets upwards of about 185*. probe it with a toothpick, skewer, thermometer every 1/2 hour or so for tenderness. It ought to feel like you're probing a stick of butter been sitting out on the counter not one you just pulled out of the fridge. Probe in more than one spot for an average. And NO you're not going to hurt it poking around on it. 

You don't do the pokey and just pull that joker out by temp and it might be as tough as the sole on my old Texas, drought hardened, Motorsickle boot!!
So do you have the poke test over-rule the temp once you hit 185?  So say 190*IT you poke and it is all soft like butter, do you go ahead and pull it, or continue till 195. 200?

View media item 384596
Have a bunch of buddies in from out of town tonight so we are having a poker game and I am surprising them all with an some good eats! These babies are on the smoker as we speak...

This is my 5th brisket ever and probably my 20th Boston butt. The Brisket is rubbed down with a SPOG mixture at 1 part each and the Pork with a typical rub of brown sugar, paprika, garlic, cayenne, salt and pepper. Normally I smoke with applewood directly from my mom's orchard but I am currently out so I am playing with using some oak I have kicking around.

Generally I run between 225* and 250*, take the meat up to 165* then wrap and finished up to a minimum of 195* depending on texture (toothpick test rules!). Wrap a few towels around and toss in a cooler for another 2 or 3 hours and slice and serve.

I haven't had a bad one yet, but even if the worst happens and they don't turn out, the boys will probably be half cut anyways and I will still look like a hero! Haha! I will post of the final product later...

Last edited:
Helpful hint. Try butcher paper at 165 and push to 203+ For the brisket. I also like some cracked coriander on a brisket.
I keep hearing that butcher paper is the way to go... I have yet to try this. Is there a specific reason this is done? Does it lead to a different effect than foil wrapping? I am always game to try something new...

Last edited:
I keep hearing that butcher paper is the way to go... I have yet to try this. Is there a specific reason this is done? Does it lead to a different effect than foil wrapping? I am always game to try something new...

Keeps a nice bark and allows more heat for a quicker cook, I find. I've done this for the last year and my briskest turn out great. Very moist with great bark.

So I usually rub the meat down the night before, inject with whatever it is I'm using that day (just so happened to be Apple juice today) I prefer a nutty wood such as pecan, add a pan underneath to catch the drippings with a little water to prevent it from getting to hot prior to cooking. I get my smoker to about 225, get that thin blue smoke and then wait.
View media item 409079View media item 409080View media item 409081

1st time brisket. Been on my treager 5 hours. It's 7 hours until we eat. I screwed up. I turned off the smoke and just left it in grill. Anyway to salvage this brisket

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky