Bases

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fltsfshr

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Sep 8, 2015
I use a lot of bases. Whether is a spice combo, a broth base or a complete I change them to suit my style of cooking by adding what I want to make it mine. Give me your sauce, your soup base, your spice mix and I can make it my own. GFS is my friend.
Got any favorite bases?

Got any favorite bases?
Salt , pepper and sage bulk sausage . You can eat it for breakfast , or add some fennel and have Italian , or nutmeg or the like and have a brat .
Red pepper and mustard seed it's a hot link .
Yes , I'll get the stuffer out to do a pound . Casings are stored wet and always ready .

When I make chicken stock it is naked. I simmer out a whole chicken, debone and simmer out the bones and joints. Yes, it takes about 6 hours from start to finish. I don't like the added flavors of root stock veggies in commercial stuff. I prefer to add them as desired to my meal.
That is my base for most soups or any recipe calling for chicken stock or broth. My stock is a collagen rich gelatin that goes 1/4 to 1/3 the recipe calls for chicken stock.

Asian base is coconut aminos, fish sauce, and sesame oil.

Meat rub is a simple 1 part of salt, cracked mixed peppercorn medley, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili peppers (not chili powder), 1/2 oregano, 1/2 cayenne.
No sugars.

I use a lot of bases. Whether is a spice combo, a broth base or a complete I change them to suit my style of cooking by adding what I want to make it mine. Give me your sauce, your soup base, your spice mix and I can make it my own. GFS is my friend.
Got any favorite bases?
I have a simple answer for sauce, soup, and spice mix base. It's the base for all 3 lol.

Salt, black Pepper, dehydrated Onion, granulated Garlic.

Add any spices to go any direction for seasonings/rubs, sauces, soups, etc.

You can rock that base 4 seasoning combo for any meat out there and get amazing flavor. I do that all the time for meat. On chicken and pork I often just add Paprika and that's it.

For soups I like adding a little Thyme and Oregano and subbing out the salt for Knorr brand Chicken Bullion for anything chicken soup-like and Knorr brand Beef Bullion for any beef soup-like stuff and finally Knorr Chicken-Tomato for anything that needs tomato soup-like flavor without tomato (lots of Mexican dishes like this including rice).

I hope this info helps :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky