Bangors & Brats

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnnyo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Can pork be used to make Brats, & also English Bangor ?? I want to make the Brats fresh to be barbecued or in a pan.. Can the Bangors be made fresh also, the same size as the Brats, & be barbecued or fried in a pan ?? Or would the Bangors be better smoked?? I've never had Bangors, so know nothing about them..
thanks..

i make brats out of pork butt they turn out great i dont know about the bangers have to try them someday i stuff them into hog casings

Johnnyo, both these sausages are usually made as fresh sausages to be bbq or fried and such .... and are both are made using pork , although I've seen recipes for bangers include veal along with the pork... both can be smoked in a smoker as long as ther'ye cooked to a safe internal temp 160* , and are gonna be consumed after cooking and not stored such as pepperoni, for that you will need to ad a cure such as praque or morton's .

Johnny, A English banger is a mildly spiced pork sausage, often made with a filler such as bread crumbs. Like a brat, it is a fresh sausagea nd must be fully cooked before eating.

Bangers are great with mashed turnips/taters with a little bit of butter and chives and a pint of bitter!

Here is a recipe for them, if this helps.

English Bangers
<U>
Banger Seasoning
  • </U>
  • 5 teaspoon ground white pepper
  • 2 1/2 teaspoon mace
  • 2 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 2 teaspoon rubbed sage
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
<U>
Sausage
  • </U>
  • 2 1/2 lb. boneless lean pork shoulder or loin cut in cubes
  • 1 lb. fresh pork fat in cubes
  • 1 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 1 1/4 cup chicken broth
  • 3 1/2 teaspoon Banger seasoning
Grind pork and fat together using plate of meat grinder.
Add Banger Seasoning and mix well.
Grind again.
Stuff mixture into casings and tie in 4-5 inch lengths.
This mixture will be too fine to form into patties.

Bake or sauté as you prefer.

gotta LOVE bangers and mashers...........now thats a TRUE pub food.......along with fish and chips..........YUM........

Thanks all for the help & the recipe.. I picked up an 11 1/2 lb pork butt . Walmart had them on sale for 64 cents a lb.. So I figured after getting the bone out, I should end up with 10 lbs of meat.. 5 for Brats & 5 for bangors..
I will mix up them spices later today, & i will grind up the meat tomorrow..

Instead of cutting the Bangors to 4 or 5 inch lengths, has any body ever coiled the raw Bangors on an aluminum pie plate, then cooked them that way, barbecue, oven or stove top.. maybe add a little beer to the pan, or would that spoil the Bangors..??
Johnny

the way i do my brats is i slow cook them in a slow cooker on low for four hours i throw in garlic liquid smoke bay leaf some bbq sauce bell peppers and onion then enough beer to cover. after four hours put them on the grill just to get some color and enjoy

That sounds too good, I'll probably eat the 5 lbs of bangors at one sitting, & ironically my wife says she brought her slow cooher along with us to South Texas, & like a dummy I showed your cooking method to my neighbor.. Now he won't leave until I cook the Brats & Bangors.. I imagine the Bangors would also be great in a slow cooker with all the condiments you listed, especially the beer..
Johnny

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky