Bangers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

FreshGround

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 13, 2022
Does anyone have a source for relatively authentic British bangers (as in bangers and mash)? Thanks.

Does anyone have a source for relatively authentic British bangers (as in bangers and mash)? Thanks.

Do a search on YT for "Scott Rea Project rusk" for how to make your own rusk. It's STUPID expensive to buy online!

The recipe I use is Len Poli's "British Style" bangers, but I add the water to the rusk while grinding the meat (to hydrate) and mix that in with the spices at the end instead of pulverizing the rusk with the spices as his instructions state.

I don't know how authentic they are as they're the only bangers I've ever had, but they're pretty darned good!

Like Sherry, I use Len Poli's Banger recipe. I use breadcrumbs instead of rusk. As far as buying already made authentic Bangers? I can't help you there. Never have seen them at my local stores. Here is the recipe if you want to stuff your own.
Bangers:
5 lb. Pork shoulder
1 1⁄2 cups Pork broth
1 cup Rusk (or breadcrumbs)
5 tsp. Salt
4 tsp. White pepper
1 tsp. Ground Ginger
1 tsp. Mace
1⁄2 tsp. Nutmeg
1 tsp. Rubbed Sage
35mm hog casings

Last edited:
Reactions: zwiller
To clarify, I'm looking for a source to buy them, not trying to make them. Apologies for not being clearer.

Like Sherry, I use Len Poli's Banger recipe. I use breadcrumbs instead of rusk. As far as buying already made authentic Bangers? I can't help you there. Never have seen them at my local stores. Here is the recipe if you want to stuff your own.
Bangers:
5 lb. Pork shoulder
1 1⁄2 cups Pork broth
1 cup Rusk (or breadcrumbs)
5 tsp. Salt
4 tsp. White pepper
1 tsp. Ground Ginger
1 tsp. Mace
1⁄2 tsp. Nutmeg
1 tsp. Rubbed Sage
35mm hog casings
I'm writing this down! Where in the world do you get Pork broth??

I'm writing this down! Where in the world do you get Pork broth??
What? How can you NOT have pork broth if you do any sausage or BBQ? All the pork H bones that you pull from pork shoulder when you make sausage, or pulled pork, or carnitas, etc. Toss it in pot or instantpot with water, simmer couple hours. I have more quarts of pork broth in my freezer than I can use, use it for ramen broth and soup base...

Reactions: Fueling Around
What? How can you NOT have pork broth if you do any sausage or BBQ? All the pork H bones that you pull from pork shoulder when you make sausage, or pulled pork, or carnitas, etc. Toss it in pot or instantpot with water, simmer couple hours. I have more quarts of pork broth in my freezer than I can use, use it for ramen broth and soup base...
I'll keep that in mind next time. Come to think about it, I have a bone with some meat on it in the freezer from the last time I cut up a butt for sausage and didn't want to toss it.
Thanks for the tip!

I'll keep that in mind next time. Come to think about it, I have a bone with some meat on it in the freezer from the last time I cut up a butt for sausage and didn't want to toss it.
Thanks for the tip!
If you toss those bones in the oven or grill for 20 or 30 min to brown up the meat on them, you will get a better broth also! Once you start having pork broth around for ramen and such, you'll love it! ;)

Found the post with bangers in the topic mix.
Sadly, no mention of sourcing them outside of DougE DougE finding Irish bangers.

There is a Brit Pub restaurant close to me that has bangers on the breakfast menu.
They also have a market, so I'll stop there and see if they sell and ship.

To clarify, I'm looking for a source to buy them, not trying to make them. Apologies for not being clearer.
If you have an Aldi grocery store around, they have Irish bangers as a seasonal item ........ usually around St. Pats day from what I remember. They're pretty decent sausages.

Thanks to all who replied. I checked out Jolly Posh and they do indeed have them, but not only over $10/lb., on small orders the shipping is prohibitive.

But Fueling Around Fueling Around gave me a couple of ideas on looking for them locally. We have a British style pub where I've had them and maybe their supplier is local. We also have an international market that has a whole wall of sausages in a wide variety of styles that is worth looking into. So maybe I'll be able to hunt some down.

On the pork broth subject, I've also had very good luck with using ham bones. Especially nice flavor for a potato soup.
That is if the ham bone doesn't get used either in pea soup or a pot of red beans....
Pigs feet are good too. You just have to watch how thick it gets unless you skin them first. Cooking them down whole is pretty likely to make a headcheese type jelly rather than broth

Reactions: Dave in AZ
Thanks for the compliment F FreshGround
Google Jolly Posh Foods. They have them.
Great source, if you can afford them.
I liked the side note that rusk is 5% of the mix.
The recipe I use is Len Poli's "British Style" bangers, but I add the water to the rusk while grinding the meat (to hydrate) and mix that in with the spices at the end instead of pulverizing the rusk with the spices as his instructions state.
The Len Poli is only a 2.5% rusk

I've only eaten authentic Bangers once. They were served on an HMS Destroyer many years ago for a special ceremony. I remember the bangers as chewy, but don't recall any special flavor as we were welcomed aboard with a tot of Pusser's rum and that pretty much killed my taste buds.
I got sloshed in the Chief's Mess for the after party.

I may be totally wrong, but I weighed 1 cup of breadcrumbs, and it came to right at 4 oz. If my math is off (and it may very be), that should be right at 5% of 5lbs of pork. I think Len might have figured his percentages wrong, or rusk is heavier than breadcrumbs. lol!

Well, thanks to Fueling Around Fueling Around 's idea I have not only found English bangers, I hit the motherload. Turns out there is a place called The Pork Shop only 20 minutes away that is amazing. Every fresh pork meat cut you can imagine. More different kinds of sausages and snack sticks than you can shake a stick at. Many different varieties of bacon and ham. All prepared on site.

They have a 'half pig' deal where you get 75 lbs. of various items including 24 chops, half a bone-in ham, 18 lbs. of sausages, plus lots of other excellent cuts, and the best part is the cost, $375. I think my D & SIL will be splitting one of these with us, after we eat down our freezer level.

They even have dog food and bones.

And if you just want to pop in for lunch they have a green Chile burrito and a BBQ pulled pork burrito that are both excellent. An amazing find.

I'm not sure about the rules on posting links, but if you Google 'The Pork Shop' you'll find it if you want to take a look.

On our first trip we bought one of each type of buttito, English bangers, maple sausage links, smoked Polish sausage, and bags of three kinds of snack sticks - Russian salami, jalapeno and cream cheese, and pepperoni. I thought I had about $100 worth in my basket but when I went to check out it was only $70. Which made me regret not picking up a pound of their pastrami, one of the few beef products. Ah well, next time. And there WILL be a next time. What a great find.

For anyone in the Phoenix area, it's worth the drive.

Reactions: zwiller
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky