Bambo Cutting Boards

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

martin1950

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
Hartford. S/W Michigan
My wife has never liked my large and heavy Maple board so she bought me a large bamboo board. Looks pretty but when I did a pre-wash I notices all these like fiberous ends sticking out. This will not do, shusssssss. Kinda afraid to fire up the sander or should I just "food oil" it?

That’s why I went with plastic along with the sanitary benefits of avoiding a wooden cutting board. I’m pretty sure if you sand it then you will have to repeat the process again and again as it wears.

G

Reactions: martin1950
There are a lot of studies out there that show that wood is actually more sanitary than plastic over time. Wood is a horrible medium for growing bacteria, and a scored plastic board tends to harbor more bacteria than their wood counterparts.

(I use both, I just keep the plastic ones smooth, and the wood ones oiled)

as far as the original question, I would start with food oil and see if it helps, if it doesn't than I'd try sanding it myself....worst case scenario you ruin a cutting board that you're not going to use because of little bamboo slivers sticking out of it

We do have a plastic board also that I refuse to use. Even with a finely honed edge on my knives, they wear down faster on the plastic. Since I've forbidden, yes I used the work forbidden, my wife to use my 10" Old Hickory on the plastic, I bought her her own set of knives. Guess I'll give it a go and load up my 6" dual action sander with some 600g, tack it and oil it.

martin1950 martin1950 I have not done or used bamboo , but I just finished 2 edge grain boards last week and have another on the bench .
I have started purposely raising the grain before I put the oil on . That way the first time it gets wet it wont get a rough feeling to it . I final sand , spritz with water , wipe off dry and re sand . Then coat with mineral oil and bees wax .
I would say sand by hand using a block of wood and re coat and see what happens .

I have 2 12"x18"x3/4" bamboo boards. When I got them I gave them 5 coats of butcher block treatment. After use. I just wash and let air dry. Haven't seen the problem you are having. Though, if I do. Then I'll sand lightly. And retreat with the butcher block oil.

Sounds like you got an edge-grained board. When you wet it the grain raised up. Chopsaw has you going in the right direction. Another option is to wet the board, sand ,then run a sharp cabinet scraper over it. Let the board dry. Oil it and use it.

Martin1950 like anything there are many qualities of materials used in making bamboo chopping blocks. Bamboo has become very popular for many reasons. They are actual a hard grass and the best chopping blocks are made from older bamboo grass. There have been a flood of inferior boards made from younger plants that just don’t stand. Just read Amazon reviews. Depending on the length of fibrous ends they may sand off but likely will just raise more fibers. Many unhealthy chemicals are use in making some bamboo cutting boards and flooring. Check if you can to see how they were made and from where.

On a practical side I wouldn’t recommend any bamboo cutting boards for regular use. Unlike other hard woods used in wooden chopping blocks the hardness of the wood is consistent. No so for bamboo the grain consists hard and soft spots making it very rough on knives. If you care about your knives stick with hardwoods.

Every time i buy a new cutting board I always coat it with mineral oil and let it sit for 8 hours. Then repeat the process 2 more times. This should be reapplied whenever you start to see those fiberous ends sticking out. The board should moisturized.

Bamboo is better than other types of wood for many reasons, including antibacterial & anti fungal properties.

I've made several end grain cutting boards which seal when you cut on it. If you make them out of maple wood, it has a natural antibacterial properties but must be oiled with mineral oil when they look a little dry. NO DISHWASHER, AND NO SOAKING of any wood cutting board. These are a couple of boards I made several years ago.

Attachments

• 20191209_191348.jpg
    20191209_191348.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20191209_191410.jpg
    20191209_191410.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky