BAD "Q".. let this be a lesson to you!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

xtexan

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
Columbus,OH
Well most of you don't need this kind of lesson..... but I did.
I did a brisket and two racks of ribs yesterday on the vertical. The problem was.... EVERYTHING!

First off I didn't rub the meat the night before, which is what I usually do. I got a "good deal" on some cheap spices, used those. Also, I didn't follow my recipe just started throwing stuff in the bowl, nothing measured. Compromised my mop mix, w/ substituted ingredients. Pulled the brisket off too soon, lack of patients I guess, didn't let it rest long enough(20 min.) Started slicing it and the fat came off almost hard so I knew I was in trouble.

The worst part...... I smoked the meat for my pastor at church for the 1st time. He was counting on it for Sunday (Super Bowl) supper so I had to deliver. I called him and explained that it was junk and to expect much better next time.

I think I just got complacent and thought I would mess w/ a good thing, NEVER AGAIN!

I haven't had a bad turnout since around the time that I started smoking. From now on I will stick to what I know and not be lazy and cheap!

I know most of us wouldn't tell on ourselves when we screw up. But it is a lesson learned so I thougth I would share.

XTexan,

I think all of us have experience situations like that at one point or another... I do want to say that I highly recommend experimenting but make sure you do it at the right time.

I love to experiment with new things but I always do it when it is just for me and the immediate family and in the back of my mind, I am always thinking that we could be eating at Outback tonight
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

It IS embarrassing when it is for someone like your pastor..
icon_redface.gif

Better luck next time!

You are exactly right Jeff! Wow I don't think we've ever spoken (exchanged posts).

Unfortunately I wouldn't call mine experimenting.....when I do that I write everything down so I can "track" where i went wrong.

This was simply a case of cheap spices and getting away from what I know and have learned on this great site.

I usually use "Jeffs Rub" (LOL) on my ribs but decided to take some short cuts and it DID NOT PAY OFF!

Thanks for the encouraging words.

What crummy luck. Similar things have happened to me also. And usually when we really want to make an impression. I don't know why???????????? There is a name for it. Oh Murphys Law

tis mighty man of u to share this with all us,me being a cabinet maker & furniture builder I have -threw the years learned Never to cut corners and Always have patieance,and have brought that along to my world of cooking also-My Maw & granmaw always stressed the inportance of makeing sure u didn't leave out the most important ingredient(love). Live & learn.you never gonna make that boner again.

Hey XTexan, we all learn from our experiences, I've turned out some good Q's but forget to write down Ingredients, Time etc.......

Thanks for sharing Texan.
I have had stuff not turn out also. MOstly on things that I am trying for the 1st time.

Man i have done it to. Don't feel all alone. Even recently I smoked a brisket for my brother n law for his get together, and I bought it from sams. It was a choice grade whole brisket and the price was really cheap for choice , but I bought it anyway. I did everything the same as I always do , did'nt cut any corners , and to me that brisket was lousy. I think sometimes you just get a bad cut of meat maybe. I've done lots of briskets so it was'nt a lack of experience. We try to learn a little something every time we smoke something.

Don't give up on experiments Tex!!! Just don't try out "new" on anyone but yourself and in-laws that ya don't like.
PDT_Armataz_01_29.gif

I don't like to measure anymore, gotta eyeball it, makes it more "fun". Practice, practice, practice.

Remember this:
"If you do what you have always done, you'll get what you have always gotten."

Remember, he is your pastor and he understands the concept of forgiveness. Now you just need to forgive yourself which is always much harder.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Lou

Hey, it happens to us all. I was doing a brisket and some ribs a few weeks back but had many other projects going at the same time. I had used Jeff's rub on all of it. Since I was busy, I built the heat up too high so i could concentrate on other stuff. The rub didn't really burn but got a little darker than I prefer it. If I had kept the heat right around 250 I would have been fine but I let other stuff get in the way. MY FAULT. Live and learn, Greg

Tip my hat at ya for sharin...most would put it in a closet and not say anything. Experience is all from learning and you may have saved someone... even me.... allot of displeasure of having to call someone and tell them supper is off. Good post...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky