Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Gotcha...
There is an old retired man that lives on the river road that grows tomatoes in a greenhouse year round. I have been buying his until mine come in. Better flavor than commercially grown maters, but not as good as mine!

Reactions: TNJAKE
Good job Jake ! My Wife or otherwise known as my CEO LOVES bacon ! So if I make some for her it will score me some bonus points ! I should have ripe tomato's in a couple weeks . Ironically I just bought a pork belly for my first try at bacon so the timing couldn't be any better ! For tomato's I grew several different varieties this year as follows , Champion , Brandywine , Better boy , Black Krim and San Marzano for canning . With all the Salmon and Bass carcasses I buried under the maters they should be tastey. I hope I spelled everything okay because the Crown Royal does things to me !!!!! lol

That looks phenomenal Jake! Make some good eats… maybe some BLT’s! Whatever ya do, it’s bacon… Yum!

Gotcha...
There is an old retired man that lives on the river road that grows tomatoes in a greenhouse year round. I have been buying his until mine come in. Better flavor than commercially grown maters, but not as good as mine!
I hear ya

Good job Jake ! My Wife or otherwise known as my CEO LOVES bacon ! So if I make some for her it will score me some bonus points ! I should have ripe tomato's in a couple weeks . Ironically I just bought a pork belly for my first try at bacon so the timing couldn't be any better ! For tomato's I grew several different varieties this year as follows , Champion , Brandywine , Better boy , Black Krim and San Marzano for canning . With all the Salmon and Bass carcasses I buried under the maters they should be tastey. I hope I spelled everything okay because the Crown Royal does things to me !!!!! lol
Heck yeah joe get that belly in some cure. Ain't nothing to it. You can't buy better bacon than what you can make at home. Them fish are gonna be super food for the garden. I love better boys and black krims. Try the Cherokee purples. They are the best of the "black tomatoes" if you ask me. They also have a black cherry tomato that's delicious. If you have any bacon questions give me a call. Always enjoy talking to you on the phone

Reactions: poacherjoe
Wow! Man, that looks so incredible I can smell it! Awesome as always Jake!
149C8F06-C3FD-4636-B15E-2A7DDD5AB189.jpeg

With all the Salmon and Bass carcasses I buried under the maters they should be tastey.
Yes indeed! I have about 30# of fish carcasses in 11 holes between my tomato plants. Put that in the ground 1 week after the maters so no root damage. by the time the roots made it to the fish, it was already on it's way being broken down. I'll put 3-500# of fish carcasses in my other bed and let that rot to feed the soil for next years tomatoes. Have hot biochar/bone char compost on top with 5 gallons of sea water. the biochar soaks up the nutrients from the hot compoat leaching and the fish in the ground. Only thing I add after the plants are in the ground is a little wood ash after the first tomatoes are about the size of golf balls.

Yes indeed! I have about 30# of fish carcasses in 11 holes between my tomato plants. Put that in the ground 1 week after the maters so no root damage. by the time the roots made it to the fish, it was already on it's way being broken down. I'll put 3-500# of fish carcasses in my other bed and let that rot to feed the soil for next years tomatoes. Have hot biochar/bone char compost on top with 5 gallons of sea water. the biochar soaks up the nutrients from the hot compoat leaching and the fish in the ground. Only thing I add after the plants are in the ground is a little wood ash after the first tomatoes are about the size of golf balls.
I don't need to give you any advice on what to do with your garden !! 50 plus years of gardening have helped me greatly.Nice to see someone else that has done their homework !! My garden is my life and it's nice living in zone 9 and having more options than most others but as long as you use all your hunting and fishing carcasses for the garden you will get plenty back from your work. Feathers from the birds I pluck and all the fish carcasses make a BIG contribution to my garden. And I can prove it in any taste test !!!!!!!!!!!

Great looking bacon, Jake. I only cold smoke mine too. Just love the smell when I open the fridge after 3 or 4 days of smokey bacon sitting in it.
Now about the maters....You southern boys really have it good--I'm just ready to plant mine. Only planted the garden and flowers once before the last week of May--woke up the next day to 4" of snow covering everything.
Gary

Wish I'd had more but belly is hard to find around here and these are around $10lb which isn't really sustainable for bacon.
Jake, that bacon looks great and curing my own has been on my list ever since I started participating on this forum, but like you, bellies are hard to find around me. Nice work...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky