Bacon!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
i use a Tube at the bottom of a Rocky Mountain bullet smoker - so pretty much no heat
That explains the deep color you got. I do the same with my cold smoked bacon. I like 32 hours of cold smoke....4 nights, 8 hours of smoke per night. Then a rest hanging in the fridge for 3-5 days.

I need to try the dry cure since I don't have a place for the wet cure process.

That looks great.
I’ll personally will never mess with the wet process again

Mine is about ready to hit the smoker! I just hope it comes out near as good looking as yours.
Jim

OK...never tried pre-made brine. So I have a question for all those that have, especially if they tried more than one brand.
What do you think is the best?
Maybe an unanswerable question, as taste vary, but hey gotta ask.
like you said - a lot of them. I used LEM this time around - very basic but I’m happy with it. Comes with cure #2 pack as well. One package does 25lb

Nice looking bacon!
Do you think vac sealing for the cure makes much more difference than ziploc bags with the air squeezed out?

like you said - a lot of them. I used LEM this time around - very basic but I’m happy with it. Comes with cure #2 pack as well. One package does 25lb
Are you absolutely certain that is was cure #2? Reason I ask is that the USDA does not allow commercial bacon to use cure #2 because of the risk of nitrosamines forming when heated to high temps. while frying. They must use cure#1 along with a cure accelerator sodium erythorbate.

Last edited:
Here is a pic. of dry cured bacon with 32 hours of smoke...60% applewood and 40% hickory.

img_20210315_204030-jpg.jpg

Then dried to 20% weight loss......

• Love
Reactions: Fueling Around
Are you absolutely certain that is was cure #2? Reason I ask is that the USDA does not allow commercial bacon to use cure #2 because of the risk of mitrosamines forming when heated to high temps. while frying. They must use cure#1 along with a cure accelerator sodium erythorbate.
Ha, no - good catch!

I love dry cured bacon. Yours would take me to the meal table. Not fussy if you invite me to breakfast, lunch or supper.

I've been enhancing my smokes by using the long tube with flavor of choice and a short tube of mostly cherry to add more color on the meat.

Looks awesome.

I really need to get my feet wet and do some bacon. I got a bag of cure #1 a few months ago, and planned to start with cheaper things like Canadian, or buckboard to get a feel for it before trying it with belly, but even the cheaper things ain't so cheap right now.
Been seeing some decent prices on pork loins and shoulder as I'm in prime pork territory and yet the belly prices are out of my grasp.
I've has great success with loin bacon. Tried the buckboard a couple times and not my liking

Good looking bacon BB. How much weight do you figure you lost? I usually get some liquid in the bag the first couple days but then it reabsorbs it before it's fully cured.

OK...never tried pre-made brine. So I have a question for all those that have, especially if they tried more than one brand.
What do you think is the best?
Maybe an unanswerable question, as taste vary, but hey gotta ask.

I've tried some premade and made some on my own but we like this one about the best so far and yes I use it for belly bacon
https://himtnjerky.com/buckboard-bacon-cure/

Are you absolutely certain that is was cure #2? Reason I ask is that the USDA does not allow commercial bacon to use cure #2 because of the risk of nitrosamines forming when heated to high temps. while frying. They must use cure#1 along with a cure accelerator sodium erythorbate.

Off Lem's site:

• Cure Ingredients: Salt, sodium nitrite (6.25%), FD&C red # 3 (for color) and less than 2% sodium silico aluminate added as a processing aid
It's cure #1

Good looking bacon BB. How much weight do you figure you lost? I usually get some liquid in the bag the first couple days but then it reabsorbs it before it's fully cured.

I've tried some premade and made some on my own but we like this one about the best so far and yes I use it for belly bacon
https://himtnjerky.com/buckboard-bacon-cure/
I’d say I lost around 30% start to finish.

9lb belly from Costco.
Dry cured with LEM bacon cure, vac sealed, and into fridge for 14 days. Cold smoked for 10 hours with hickory. I’m sticking my foot in my mouth on a previous post where I said there would be very little to no weight loss with cold smoking process to some poster. With the curing process it lost quite a bit of final yield. Came out great, thanks Al for getting me to try the dry brine - more convenient for me.
View attachment 515399View attachment 515400View attachment 515401View attachment 515402
View attachment 515403
o man, that's some nice looking bacon. I like the dry cure myself.

HT

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky