Bacon wrapped jalapeño chicken thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cardsfan

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jul 2, 2010
Denver, CO
These are definitely in the top 3 things most requested from my smoker! Super good, easy, and almost impossible to mess up. Start with boneless, skinless chicken thighs, sprinkle both sides with your favorite chicken rub, half or quarter jalapeños length wise (half or quarter depending on heat you want). Wrap the jalapeño in the chicken thigh, and wrap with a piece of your favorite bacon. Smoke at 275 for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. They are excellent as is, or brush on a little sauce for the last half hour. They will make you famous! I served these with shaved oven roasted Brussel sprouts. Excellent!

I forgot to mention that I also turn the thighs over after 2 hours. You want color all around, but the top is the most important for presentation, so I turn them over after 2 hours, flip them back right side up at 3 hours, and then brush on sauce if so desired.
20200927_134407.jpg
20200927_134416.jpg
20200927_152539.jpg
20200927_173742.jpg
20200927_173747.jpg
20200927_181153.jpg
20200927_181327.jpg
20200927_181333.jpg

Last edited:
OVEN ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS

Super easy if you have a salad shooter. If you don’t, I recommend buying one on Amazon. They are cheap, and once you have these, you will be cooking them often! Another recipe that will make you famous! I typically serve them with steak, or my brisket, but they are excellent with anything grilled or smoked. They are rustic, and earthy, and just pair well with grill or smoke.

If you have a salad shooter, just attach the slicer wheel, and run your sprouts through the shooter. If you don’t have one, a mandoline slicer certainly will work, just be careful. Sometimes my grocery store or Whole Foods will sell them bagged already sliced. Cost more, but totally worth it! When they are sliced thin like this, they kind of shred up a little which is what you want. You will also want to dice up a whole onion, and buy a bag of Hormel real bacon bits, (or make your own).

I cover a sheet pan (one with edges) with parchment paper (foil also would work), and spoon on about 2 or 3 heaping tablespoons of bacon grease. Set oven to 375 and put the pan in the oven while it pre-heats until the bacon grease is melted. Take the pan out of the oven, and put your Brussel sprouts, onion, and bacon bits on the pan, and toss in the bacon grease until well coated. Depending on the amount of sprouts, you may need 2 pans, I usually do unless I’m cooking for just me and the wife in which case half an onion is good. You don’t want the sprouts to cover the pan too thick or you won’t cook off enough moisture. Salt and pepper to taste, (I use garlic salt).

Cook until the sprouts start to get browned, and then take a spatula and toss them. Put back in the oven until they start to get a little char and crispy edges, and voila! Done! You will never want them any other way. Another hack I use is to cook bacon in the oven on the baking sheet with parchment paper, that way you can use the same pan and parchment with the grease and goodies already there. Chop the bacon up for your bacon bits. If for some reason you are opposed to the bacon grease (too bad for you lol) you can toss them in olive oil instead. Also very good! ENJOY!!!

(Also be careful with the oil. You want them coated lightly like you would a salad, not swimming. Too much oil, and they will turn out wilted and greasy, and you won’t get the char and crisp on the top edges.)

Last edited:
they look great! Beautiful pics you took...very nice! Have to give your sprout recipe a try also

Ryan

Reactions: cardsfan
That's a fantastic looking meal . I'm in on the sprouts too .
I have a salad shooter that I got in 1989 . Love that thing .
Nice work on that meal .

These are definitely in the top 3 things most requested from my smoker! Super good, easy, and almost impossible to mess up. Start with boneless, skinless chicken thighs, sprinkle both sides with your favorite chicken rub, half or quarter jalapeños length wise (half or quarter depending on heat you want). Wrap the jalapeño in the chicken thigh, and wrap with a piece of your favorite bacon. Smoke at 275 for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. They are excellent as is, or brush on a little sauce for the last half hour. They will make you famous! I served these with shaved oven roasted Brussel sprouts. Excellent!

I forgot to mention that I also turn the thighs over after 2 hours. You want color all around, but the top is the most important for presentation, so I turn them over after 2 hours, flip them back right side up at 3 hours, and then brush on sauce if so desired.
View attachment 465002View attachment 465003View attachment 465004View attachment 465005View attachment 465006View attachment 465007View attachment 465008View attachment 465009

That looks amazing man, right up my alley!

One of the best BBQ joints in my area does something similar but uses chicken breast chunks. They do a jalapeno slice and a slice of onion, then bacon wrap and smoke!

I do dove a similar way. I marinate the dove breast a little then wrap with slice of jalapeno, slice of onion, wrap with bacon, then grill!!! About the only way to eat dove in my opinon :)

Close to elephant bombs ( the guy i got the recipe from off YouTube called them atomic elaphant turds but I like elephant bombs better. ) . I make em all the time. He used flatten ckn breast but I use thighs. But same thing except I put cream cheese in the jalapeno half and put a line of Sriracha on it and sprinkle some bbq rub on it before wrapping it with the thigh and then the bacon. Coat with BBQ sauce for the last 5 minutes of the cook. These are always a big hit when we have guests over.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky