Bacon that tastes like ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bandit6611

Original poster
Jul 22, 2021
We purchases a pig and had it butchered and the bacon they gave us tastes like ham....is there a way to make it taste like bacon? It was smoked from the butcher but i do not know hot or cold.....

We purchases a pig and had it butchered and the bacon they gave us tastes like ham....is there a way to make it taste like bacon? It was smoked from the butcher but i do not know hot or cold.....
Explain the taste difference between ham and bacon. Pork is pork and cure is cure. What makes bacon, bacon?

Store Bought Bacon is injected with Salt, Sugar, Cure #1, Erythorbate to speed the Cure process, Preservatives, Liquid Smoke and any other number of additives.
Butcher Bacon, is Dry Rubbed or Brined with Salt, Sugar, Cure #1 and Naturally Smoked. It will not taste the same as the Store Bought you may be used too. Additionally, the Leaner and Thicker Cut your Butcher Bacon, the more Hammy it will taste as the cure process is virtually identical...JJ

Reactions: PPG1
Store Bought Bacon is injected with Salt, Sugar, Cure #1, Erythorbate to speed the Cure process, Preservatives, Liquid Smoke and any other number of additives.
Butcher Bacon, is Dry Rubbed or Brined with Salt, Sugar, Cure #1 and Naturally Smoked. It will not taste the same as the Store Bought you may be used too. Additionally, the Leaner and Thicker Cut your Butcher Bacon, the more Hammy it will taste as the cure process is virtually identical...JJ
Thank you JJ for your response. Does that mean that there is nothing that I can do taste more like store-bought bacon

I would not Toss it. Use it in recipes that are usually made with Ham. Ham and Bean Soup, Collard Greens, Split Pea Soup, Beer Cheese Soup. Ham and Green Beans with Potatoes. YUM!!!
Google Recipes with Ham and I'm sure you would find ways to use it up...JJ

Yes many ways to use it up! You had a good deal with chef jimmyj chef jimmyj he at least was willing to trade... I'm in Iowa and would gladly take it off your hands, I love em both! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Reactions: chef jimmyj
I would not Toss it. Use it in recipes that are usually made with Ham. Ham and Bean Soup, Collard Greens, Split Pea Soup, Beer Cheese Soup. Ham and Green Beans with Potatoes. YUM!!!
Google Recipes with Ham and I'm sure you would find ways to use it up...JJ
I will try, I do have a great soup I make with ham.
Yes many ways to use it up! You had a good deal with chef jimmyj chef jimmyj he at least was willing to trade... I'm in Iowa and would gladly take it off your hands, I love em both! :emoji_blush:

Ryan
Come on over!

How big was the pig ??? How thick was the belly slab ???
If it was an older boar, that "could" be the difference...
I have found the loin, from the front of the pig tastes like shoulder and from the back end, tastes like ham... That is when the entire loin is cured and smoked..

How big was the pig ??? How thick was the belly slab ???
If it was an older boar, that "could" be the difference...
I have found the loin, from the front of the pig tastes like shoulder and from the back end, tastes like ham... That is when the entire loin is cured and smoked..
I don't actually know, trying to remember the weight. Was going I could recure or or smoke or something to get them to more of a bacon taste you get from a store

Not to slight your processor, but they probably wet cured the belly for the minimum amount of time needed, and did a light smoke on it for a mild flavor. Next time, get the fresh belly and do an equilibrium dry cure for 14 days. Then give it some cold smoke time, and a hot smoke finish if you like. Then let it mellow in the fridge for at least 48 hours. These things will bring out as much of a bacon flavor as you can get.

As a test, take a few slices of your bacon and give it a couple of hours of cool smoke. Then hold it overnight and cook it the next morning.

J1NB7gS.jpg

Not to slight your processor, but they probably wet cured the belly for the minimum amount of time needed, and did a light smoke on it for a mild flavor. Next time, get the fresh belly and do an equilibrium dry cure for 14 days. Then give it some cold smoke time, and a hot smoke finish if you like. Then let it mellow in the fridge for at least 48 hours. These things will bring out as much of a bacon flavor as you can get.

As a test, take a few slices of your bacon and give it a couple of hours of cool smoke. Then hold it overnight and cook it the next morning.

View attachment 505097
So I am new to this, when you say couple of hours of cool smoke that means? Then hold it overnight- just put it in the fridge? I believe you are right on the butcher- I will did it differently the next time!

So I am new to this, when you say couple of hours of cool smoke that means? Then hold it overnight- just put it in the fridge? I believe you are right on the butcher- I will did it differently the next time!
Sorry.... you can cold smoke cured foods, by definition less than 80°F, using a pellet tube or a sawdust tray for generating smoke. Cold smoked food is not fully cooked and in the case of bacon needs to be fried or baked or whatever.

Hot smoked cured food, by definition 212° and above, can become fully cooked, but will be cooked more than cold smoked food. Bacon for example can be hot smoked to 130° and it still must be cooked more before eating. If you hot smoke it to 145°+ it's technically fully cooked.

Terms like cool smoked or warm smoked are non-standard terms for smoker temps in between. So cool smoke could be ~150°.

Yes, holding overnight is in the fridge. I usually let it sit at room temperature for a couple of hours, which will allow the color to darken (bloom), then I move to the fridge and tent with wax paper or clear wrap.

Sorry.... you can cold smoke cured foods, by definition less than 80°F, using a pellet tube or a sawdust tray for generating smoke. Cold smoked food is not fully cooked and in the case of bacon needs to be fried or baked or whatever.

Hot smoked cured food, by definition 212° and above, can become fully cooked, but will be cooked more than cold smoked food. Bacon for example can be hot smoked to 130° and it still must be cooked more before eating. If you hot smoke it to 145°+ it's technically fully cooked.

Terms like cool smoked or warm smoked are non-standard terms for smoker temps in between. So cool smoke could be ~150°.

Yes, holding overnight is in the fridge. I usually let it sit at room temperature for a couple of hours, which will allow the color to darken (bloom), then I move to the fridge and tent with wax paper or clear wrap.
Thank you for the info! I appreciate you telling me what i can try!

Glad it worked out. We bothe learned a new trick...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky