Bacon, potato, & leek soup

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Brokenhandle

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 9, 2019
Nw Iowa
We usually make this a couple times each year, especially in the winter. Have really been looking forward to this lately but for some reason our local grocery stores haven't had any leeks on hand. So last week I asked if they would order some in and was told would be beginning of the week. Tuesday my wife went to the store and I was all excited to make this that afternoon, but sadly she came home with no leeks...now not till Thursday (sigh). Friday I went to the store and low and behold what did I find...
20200124_170956.jpg

Put 48 oz chicken broth in a pot, cubed up about 8 medium potatoes and into the pot with some fresh thyme, cook till tender
20200124_184329.jpg

1/4 the leeks and slice, from here into a strainer to soak and rinse well to get any sand out
20200124_172445.jpg

Mince and fry up 1 lb. Of bacon
20200124_184253.jpg

Once bacon is done add it to the pot and drain some of the grease then fry leeks in remaining grease for 3 to 4 minutes and add to pot
20200124_185141.jpg

Take 2 cups heavy cream, tempered, and put in pot
20200124_190417.jpg

Add any seasonings to taste...we just added pepper and paprika , no extra salt needed.
And finally the wait is over!
This was soooo good

20200124_192455.jpg

On a side note, we have also added some cubed ham to the soup which really makes it hearty. Just not this time.

Good thing I previewed this, just about forgot to add the finished pic.

Thanks for looking
Ryan

That looks wonderful, warms my heart just seeing it. Frying the leeks in bacon grease, perfect! Like, RAY

That looks wonderful, warms my heart just seeing it. Frying the leeks in bacon grease, perfect! Like, RAY
Thanks for the like Ray, I appreciate it! It was perfect on a cold night.

Ryan

Ryan, I never tried this soup before but it looks very tasty. Bookmarking your sty-by-step recipe and is definitely on my list to try. Thanks for sharing!
Thank you push! I appreciate it. Honestly I can't remember where I got the recipe from or I would have given credit where credit is due. But we really enjoy it.

Ryan

That sound great. I love Potato Leek Soup, Bacon would just make it better...JJ

That look real good. I always add more meat that the recipe calls for. Does that make me a real carnivore?

That sound great. I love Potato Leek Soup, Bacon would just make it better...JJ
Thanks JJ! Bacon makes everything better! Kinda funny one of the first times we got leeks at the store the cashier had to ask what they were.

Ryan

That look real good. I always add more meat that the recipe calls for. Does that make me a real carnivore?
Thank you fellas! Carnivore yes, but it's a good thing. We have added ham before and that was good.

Ryan

Thanks for the like Kruizer, I appreciate it!

Ryan

I go pick wild leeks every spring ! Wife makes a leek cheese dip ! We also cook them with other things like eggs fried potatoes ECT ! Leek sausage is also real popular in our area ! Local meat market and local grocers store both make it !

The dip sounds good. We usually use onions in most everything else. When I asked the guy at the store about them he said it's a winter thing...I know I gave him a dumb look, it was about zero and the wind was blowing. Kinda felt like winter! Lol

Ryan

Ryan that looks fantastic so I know it must taste even better,I've been adding smoked Hocks to my Potato soup. Big Likes
Richie

Reactions: ofelles
Thank you richie! Oooohhh, smoked ham hocks would definitely be a great addition! Would really add some really good flavor and I just seen some in the store the other day...will have to keep that in mind. Seem to have plenty of leeks left, wife said to bring home plenty so I did.

Ryan

Thanks for the like kris, I appreciate it!

Ryan

Ryan, that looks really really good. I'm kinda sitting here thinking through this and may very well make it today. We eat a ton of soup around here and I always make large batches so Tracy can have individual containers in the freezer for her lunches.

Big LIKE sir!!
Robert

Ryan, that looks really really good. I'm kinda sitting here thinking through this and may very well make it today. We eat a ton of soup around here and I always make large batches so Tracy can have individual containers in the freezer for her lunches.

Big LIKE sir!!
Robert
Thank you Robert, I appreciate it! We do the same thing, sometimes nice to have something to pull out of freezer for supper at the end of a busy day.

Ryan

Hey Ryan....Tracy just decided that she needed to make a run into town. I asked her to stop at the grocery store and get some leeks. Guess what I'm cooking today???

Gonna be fun!!
Robert

Hey Ryan....Tracy just decided that she needed to make a run into town. I asked her to stop at the grocery store and get some leeks. Guess what I'm cooking today???

Gonna be fun!!
Robert
That's great! Let us know how you like it. I got kinda concerned Friday when I went into the store...had ordered them a week ago, wife stopped Tuesday with no luck, then Friday I didn't see any, thought they were gone already. But after asking the nice lady came out with a whole box. I had decided if they didn't have any I was gonna drive 45 miles one way to Walmart...seem to live 45 miles away from four different walmarts and I was gonna have my leeks!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky